Advice for a newbee on preparing for a puppy

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by emma12, May 23, 2021.

1. emma12

emma12 Registered Users

Hi, we’re getting our first Labrador puppy in 4wks and I need to get things ready. Any suggestions for anything at all would be really appreciated eg bed, crate, lead, comfort etc
    Thanks

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Emma, Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your impending puppy arrival!

If you are thinking about this now, you are definitely off on the right foot. There is so much to be said for being prepared.

This article has lots of tips for equipment, setting up etc. Hope it helps!

Let us know how you get along :)

3. emma12

emma12 Registered Users

Fab thanks. We can’t wait☺️☺️

4. 5labs

5labs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Exciting times!
    I would disagree slightly with the above suggestion.
    For food, leave him on the food the breeder has had him on for a couple of weeks until he has settled in.
    If you want to change his food, https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory is useful to choose a good food. Royal Canine and Hills do not rate well.
    For beds, Vetbed is safe and easy to wash and dry.
    For the crate, I would suggest as small as possible for the first week or two. If they can stand and walk away from where they were sleeping, they are likely to pee in their crate. I'd buy a small one and a larger one as he grows. They sell well on eBay etc so you will probably get back what you spend anyway.