Advice - Labs v Golden Retriever??

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by carter, Aug 10, 2016.

1. carter

carter Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    I am hoping some of you will be able to offer me your experience. I have always and still do own Border Collies. I took on my daughters Golden, which I fell fo hard. Sadly I lost him last year to hemangiosarcoma he was only 5. I was debased that this dog so full of love and life was gone. I would love another one but I am to aware that they are such a risky breed for health, so I am considering a lab.
    If anyone who has had experience with both could tell me how they compare I would be very grateful.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with GRs (and only limited experience with Labs!) but the three GRs I have known seemed to get very old, at a very young age, if you know what I mean. This may be down to poor breeding, bad health checking etc, or jut a breed trait, I don't know, but it's an observation I had on them all.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think you're just up against the maths of it.

Goldies are a much smaller population and so finding a good one is a harder prospect. I'm aware in working lines at least that elbows are an issue so to find strong working ability coupled with good elbows is hard. The more desirable factors you add in the harder a pup becomes to find.

Labs are not without their health issues but the gene pool is much, much broader and so finding dogs that are less in bred and therefore have a lower risk factor is easier.

I have a minor breed spaniel so I'm not exactly risk averse but it's a minefield looking at a breed with a small gene pool and a small number of litters a year. You have to be prepared to do a lot of homework and wait for the right pup to come along.

Best of luck with your decision :)

4. carter

carter Registered Users

Thanks
    Yes the stats on cancer in GRs is alarming
    I have researched but it appears the breed is in trouble.

5. carter

carter Registered Users

I'm really wanting to know how they compare in temperament

6. snowbunny

I think they're a lot more laid back and sensible. In my eyes, this makes them rather dull! Apologies to any GR owners out there, but they just don't seem to have the spark of mischief and joie de vivre that Labs usually do! The Guide Dogs Association often use Labs crossed with GRs for their dogs.

7. carter

carter Registered Users

I think I know what you mean snowbunny, I am a border collie girl and dare I say it the GR was lazy. What I loved about him was he didn't take life too seriously, he was fun, loving, goofy, Didn't stress too much, very loving.
    I am a trainer I would work a lab any day over a golden. The labs have a great work ethic. So I see the differences from the outside, I wanted the real down and dirty, living with them.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The best is a Lab/GR cross :)

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Coats are easier to care for in labs too. There are a a lot of grs around here and unfortunately a lot do die before 10. The breed does seem to be having a few problems and there is a lot of research going, I think orvis sponsers some. The lab grs cross is a really good mix I know a few both guide dogs and pets and they are lovely.

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My experience is one lab, three Lab/GR crosses and a pure GR. Plus talking to many many people who have one or other of these.

GRs are more intelligent and more stubborn, much much gentler of mouth and less 'muscular'.

Labs are far more enthusiastic and willing.

A cross gives you the best of both :)

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I know several working Golden Retrievers and they are all full of life and very bouncy!

12. carter

carter Registered Users

Yes GRs are stubborn
    Thanks

13. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Our daughter has a GR who is nearly the same age as Edsel and like snowbunny says seems to already be an old soul. I think it really depends on the traits you are looking for. Oscar is a dear with all children and from a young age would just lie about letting kids of all ages pet, tug and crawl over him. Edsel loves kids as well but shows his affection by running toward them like a loon and bounding over their heads. Oscar is much less prone to leaping, rarely barks and is much more content to nap the day away.
    He's excellent for petting and lounging but if you are interested in a dog who is always ready to walk, play or find adventure, Edsel is your fella.
    Daughter says she would lose her mind with Edsel, though she loves him dearly and we feel likewise about Oscar.
    All depends in what you seek.

14. carter

carter Registered Users

Are labs as goofy as Goldens?

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I reckon we have plenty of goofy labs on here (you know who you are! ;) ) but my boy is a pretty sensible fella. He's a dear soul and great fun in his own way but I wouldn't describe him as goofy.

As a dog to spend the day with, particularly out shooting he's a joy, low stress, good company :) I wouldn't swap him for the world. My spaniel on the other hand will see me with a few grey hair I reckon!

16. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

I would have to agree that as my boy continues to mature, he's less goofy than in his younger days. I would describe him as "perpetually happy" more so than silly most days. He has an ever present love of life!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
  17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'd never thought of GRs as having a smaller breeding population (they seem to be everywhere) but I overheard a GR handler at the national dog show last year saying that they used to see 100 dogs in the GR group, and now they're lucky to get 30.

18. snowbunny

*raises an eyebrow at Shadow*

drjs@5, Rosie and bbrown like this.
  19. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I don't know how many times my Lab has gotten wet, muddy, covered in snowballs and I've been grateful he is not a GR. Field bred GR are few and far between here but they seem to not have as much long hair to have to deal with as bench or even pet bred, but they still have more than Labs. I love the GR coat but am content to admire it on other people's dogs.

20. snowbunny

Ah, yes, the coat. I'm also happy to not have to detangle daily!