Advice on best crate for puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sarah Heritage, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Sarah Heritage

Sarah Heritage Registered Users

hey guys,

i need advice on what size crate to get for a 8 week old Labrador puppy? and what would be a good brand?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Sarah Heritage, you should buy a metal crate. Do not buy one made from fabric.The metal will be covered in plastic. If you buy one large enough for a fully-grown dog also buy a divider so that you can limit the puppy to one area. You do not want the dog toiletting down one end and sleeping at the other.
    For comfort buy vetbed or dog mattress to put in the floor of the crate.
    I don't know about brands. I don't even know what country you reside in. But metal crates are fairly uniform thoughout the world. I suggest you inspect some looiking to see that there are no gaps where the edges meet, and that there is a bolt system where you can lock the door. And the metal will be strong enough to contain the dog.
    I suggst you start reading about how to teach your puppy to love the crate. Use the search eengine on this site for threads on crates.

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Metal crate - beyond that, they are all pretty much of a muchness. If you want to get just one crate, be sure to get one with a divider which you can move as the pup grows.

I tend to prefer to have about 3 different-sized crates for different aged pups. A tiny one to have by my bed in the early weeks, then a medium sized one which fits under the kitchen table during toilet training and until about 5 months, then a very large crate which goes in the same room as the other dogs (home office) until they can be trusted to be crate-less (which can be the other side of adolescence).