Advice on changed eating habits

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jacqueline Mckendrick, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Jacqueline Mckendrick

Jacqueline Mckendrick Penny and me

Hi All
    Penny (9months) has begun to really go off her night meals. I have tried to keep to the same brand (wainrights). She has been absolutely fine with this kibble and still has boundless energy. She has never been very keen on dry food alone and i have always added some wet food to it and she ate that. The transition from 3 meals to 2 was fine (6 months) as she was going off her midday one anyway. I have tried different flavours of their kibble and its ok for a while then she goes back to sniffing it and walking away. I know she isnt unwell as she would eat everything that we eat if she got away with it. I didnt give her lots of treat food or goodies as i would rather she ate her own food. Also i have tried taking it away and puting it back down later with no joy. I dont like to feed her too late and she always got her last meal about 6 or just before. Should i completey change brands and start again. She looks ok and as i have said still bouncing and her usual. Last weigh in she was 27 kg that was Dec not weighed since. I just wondered is it a common thing.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Moo went off her food when she had her first season. Is penny spayed ?

3. Jacqueline Mckendrick

No she is not spayed and she had her first season just before xmas

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If you are completely sure she is not ill (going off food is one of the first signs), then I would not keep changing her food, she is just waiting for you to offer better and better food that she fancies! Give her her amount and if she hasn't eaten it in 10 minutes, just pick it up, say nothing and take it away. Offer breakfast as usual next day, if she walks away, take it up after 10 minutes, she will soon get the message. My Lab is on the same kibble but I add a tablespoon of a different wet food (until I have finished the tin) on top and stir it well in.

But do be sure she is well, if necessary get the vet to check.

5. Jacqueline Mckendrick

I will get her checked if i think something wrong. I just worry that she isnt getting enough or i was doing something wrong. I will keep an eye on her. If she was allowed to eat my cats food she would ..if she gets anywhere near it she tries to eat it ..btw i keep their food seperate and feed them in different rooms but now and again Penny has managed to get to his bowl and would snaffle it with gusto if i didnt get to her first :eek:

6. SwampDonkey

I think I would just get her checked just for my own peace of mind too.

7. Jacqueline Mckendrick

This dog will be the death of me. Hardly just asked for your advice about her not eating great and she has just vomited up a sock :eek: How can she manage to eat a full sock ( not sure when ) and run about and now happily sleeping. No side effects ..drank some water and wagged her tail. She has the constitution of an elephant. Another grey hair on my head :facepalm:

Xena Dog Princess and selina27 like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

Well at least you know your instincts are good you knew she wasn't right. Hopefully there's nothing else in there and she's ok now. Yep they are terrible at eating stuff.:)

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

A sock! Hopefully she will be feeling better and back to eating properly x

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

They are certainly sent to try us. I hope that bringing the sock up means that she will becomes interested in her food again.