Advice on feeding please

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Vicci, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

Hey my puppy Bagheera eats his food so fast he gets the hiccups. Any suggestion on toys that can slow his feeding down. Thank you

2. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

There are plenty of bowls to help with slow feeding, search on amazon or zooplus. They have raised parts in the middle to stop them taking too much of a mouthful and stop them choking by eating too quickly. Alternatively you could put the food (dried kibble) in a kong wobbler feeder or other type of toy so that they have to work at getting it out.

Unfortunately though, hiccups are part of puppyhood, you may find that even with slowing down their feeding your pup will still get them. Maisy still gets them, though much less now, at 9 months. When she was a pup she would get hiccups nearly every day for no apparent reason, it is nothing to worry about.

Vicci likes this.
  3. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

Thank you.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My dog Obi still gets hiccups at the age of 5...though less often than he used to. It does tend to be a puppy thing - most would grow out of it. It’s nothing to worry about, as Shaz has said :)

Vicci likes this.
  5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

All of Harleys kibble is on a snuffle mat. Really slows her down and makes her work for it.

Vicci likes this.
  6. MF

MF Registered Users

You could try changing his food. My dog eats raw meaty bones and whole chunks of meat. He actually chews his food. If he gets into neighbor’s dog food (kibble), he vacuums it up in a second!