Advice on long line training

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Lemin1, May 30, 2019.

1. Lemin1

Lemin1 Registered Users

Hi I have a 7 month cockapoo. She has never been a dog to stay close and will often go as far or wide as the space we are in is. After a couple of occasions that tested my nerve as she went put of sight for some time and once Bolted at 5 months got a training line and have been using it for the lat 2 months. We are doing a lot of recall training on it and sometimes just letting her run on it. This wk I have started to drop and let the lead drag in a secure area. Yesterday her recall was perfect- but no distractions today she looped round the field like a crazy dog and once she is in run mode she doesn't listen!
    We use high value treats like cheese and o use a whistle.

I have 2 queries/ issues that I am looking for advice and reassurance on.
    1. A lady told me I was causing more issues by keeping her on a training like and that the longer I use it the harder she will be to get off. My challenge is i don't want to loose her or cause an accident. So is it ok to still have her on a training like at 7 months? The longer she is ok it will it be harder to come off.

2. I now feel very anxious about loosing her and am struggling to know when i will feel confident to drop the line outside the secure field.

She is a very friendly and excitable dog with people and other dogs - although very calm in the house. We have had puppy training but I have booked in for some 1:1in late June in the hope that will help and give me confidence. I never had to
    Worry about recall with my last dog who was a collie!!
    Thanks in advance

2. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Have you got the book Total Recall? I found it really helpful. I used a long line with Loki for quite a long time - his recall wasn't that bad, it was allowing me to put him back on the lead that was the issue and even a short line helped give me control. I don't think he noticed it was there most of the time once he got used to it ,so stopping using it wasn't an issue. I never held the long line except in emergencies, most of the time he just trailed it.
    The key for us was extremely high value treats (whole meals, wet cat food, roast chicken), both for rewarding recall and rewarding going back on the lead and being on the lead.

3. Lemin1

Lemin1 Registered Users

Thanks. I do hold the long line in non secure places. She has bolted a few times or ran out of sight head down and not listening!! More than my nerves can take!!! I think I need to work on her impulse control as well. I do have the book and am working through it. Recall good without distraction in enclosed places. First ten mins of walk it's poor and when there are distractions. She sees openness and runs!!! Need her to learn what is an acceptable distance. Would be good to hear success stories I do not want her to be an on lead dog!

4. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

I have Kyko on a long line now, as he just finds other dogs and smells more interesting than me & would also just wander off with anyone he met. He runs off at 1000 miles an hour and although I don't actually think he would stay away I'm not prepared to take that risk. The problem we were having was on the long line he would still take off at a 1000 miles an hour and when he hit the end of the line, not only could I barely stay on my feet I was also concerned about the damage he might do to himself when he got yanked so hard. We recently bought a 10M horse line that is made of a cotton material that doesn't burn when he pulls & I started just allowing a bit a time but still found myself having to run a few steps to stop him taking off. Then on the weekend I made him a liver cake, went on the long line let him know I had the cake by giving him a little & no joking he literally never pulled & he checked in with me every 30 seconds & every single time I called him, in fact he only ever got to the end of the 10m twice in total & wasn't tearing off like a maniac at those times. From now on every time he's on that line he gets liver cake, & he is only on it at the moment in low distraction areas. I'm still hopeful that eventually his recall will be reliable enough to lose the long line

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ignore the advice. Keep the dog on a long line as long as you don't have a rock solid recall. You have to be able to prevent walkabout. Your dog's life may depend on it.

2. I now feel very anxious about loosing her and am struggling to know when i will feel confident to drop the line outside the secure field.
    Please don't feel nervous or upset. Recall is a hard exercise to teach a dog and can take months and months of training. If you are not confident that the dog will not bolt, then hold onto the long line.

What are you using for high-value treats apart from cheese? I would experiment with mushy, smelly and incredibly tasty things. Sardines, are regarded by many dogs as higher value than cheese? Of course, your dog might be different. But experiment. If cheese is not working, then see whether something else really excites your dog.

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Rubbish. Perfectly fine to use a long-line continuously for as long as you want to. What you have to be careful of though, is that you use it consistently and every time you go out. What you don't want to do, is put it on sometimes and then other times not put it on - because the dog learns that when the line isn't on, you can't do anything and they can freely ignore the recall and go off to visit whatever they want. Then they know the difference between 'long line on' and 'long line off' and you will find it hard to stop using it - because every time you attempt it, they know they are free to go and do whatever and ignore you. The solution is to always use it, so it is like an extra leg for the dog and they never get to experience what it means not to be on. When everything is 100% reliable, then you can stop using it and not before...

Don't attempt to call her unless you can grab the line. If the line is out of your reach and she ignores you, you can't do anything about it and again you are teaching her to ignore you. In a secure field, release her to have a run but don't call her when you can't grab the line. Time your recall for when she is heading back towards you and you think she is coming to you anyway.

Make sure you are using amazing treats - wet and sloppy things like paté or sardines or mackerel or gourmet wet dog food - delivered with a plastic toddler spoon...