Advice on what to do next

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Crumbs, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Registered Users

Hi guys, after some advice please, we are worried about our new boy max. Bit of history

Hes been suffering poorly poos and had a rubbish start in life a months on beta food that scores very low from the breeder

Anyway, we tried a new kibble but didnt get on, squirty runs and now we stablised his runny poos on a bland diet, we are now introducing a new kibble which avoids rice, chicken, maize and scores better.

Hoping that works out but he seems very skinny and boney. He has lost his chubby belly,.ribs showing, spine easily felt. He was 5kg about 10.5 weeks. He has put on weight but not alot.

Hes been de wormed and had a general anti biotic, we were considering sending stool samples off if hes stools did not improve but they have now

Do you guys think its worth sending them off or would you think his low weight is due to poor diet which hopefully improve with his new food. He looks much smaller than other labs.

Hes got a appetite and happy / energetic

Cheers

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Hi, as you say he has had antibiotics I’m presuming he has been to the vets. It’s good he’s happy and energetic, although I’d go back to my vets to discuss the best thing to do for Max. My vets are really helpful when it comes to this kind of thing and if you draw a blank at the vets perhaps get a second option.

Good luck :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I think it would be a good idea, to send off a sample as it could be something like giardia , and if not, it would mean peace of mind for you , so yes ,if it were me , I would definitely go ahead and good luck x

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Do you have him weighed at the vets - if so what do they say? If he is happy, eating and energetic then that’s a positive. My puppy had a really dodgy tummy when younger (and still has at times) - I felt happy working together with my vet practice on her issues which did involve testing on their advice.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I would get the poo tested just to make sure. My pup was very ill when he was young. He lost a lot of weight and My vet was very concerned. Getting any weight on him was hard I had to take him every other day at one point. He was very ill but we got him better. Don't forget your pup like mine has lost a lot of weight and is catching up slowly. They are growing too so things will seem worrying but he is improving and will continue to.
    Rory was so thin you could count his ribs and spine and he had no energy. I was frightened he would not recover the vets worried that his stomach would not develop properly. It did though it just took time and care.
    .Rory was always as a young dog really skinny, but he did catch up and looks great now. He has no problems only the occasional flare up of colitis.