Afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Can it be that my strapping and strong 9 month old Cooper (who weights 70 pounds) is afraid of the dark?
    At night, when he goes out to do his business, he sits and sits staring into nothing.....for a very long time. I leave the sliding door ajar so he knows I'm not leaving him outside on his own! But, sometimes, when he just does not go down into the garden for 10 or 15 minutes or more, I go out and walk him down the stairs and wait for him! Should I just give him more time? Frankly, it's cold having the door ajar in the Winter. Do any of you have a similar problem? I believe he is afraid of the dark but it could be that this is quite normal?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Afraid of the dark?

I'm not so sure it's "afraid of the dark" as they are just programmed to be a bit cautious of "different".

I live in a city, mostly (I'm sometimes lucky enough to spend time in a small country town). Anyway, recently I went away on a training course and stayed in a log cabin absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Well, it probably wasn't exactly "nowhere" but it seemed so to me - and my dog - compared to London. There was a big field in front of the cabin and I'd let the Charlie out, he looked at me as if to say "but there are no street lights!?!". I went with him a few times, and he soon got used to it. By the end of the week I could sit just outside the cabin and he'd trot off down the field to find the perfect place to poo on his own.

It's just what they are used to, I reckon.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My dog isn't afraid of the dark at all - but she won't go into the garden on her own to do her business; I think she's just used to me accompanying her, to be honest.

I suspect that the longer you keep the door open and wait for him, the longer it will take. You could try hardening your heart and take him outside, give your cue for 'do your business', then give him let's say three minutes. After that go back in with him, whether he's done anything or not. After a couple of uncomfortable nights, he'll quickly learn not to mess around!

Well, that's the theory. I seem to spend quite a lot of time at the bottom of the garden in my pajamas, dressing gown and wellies, waiting for Princess Poppy to find the perfect place to do her evening pee... ::)

4. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Yes dogs can be afraid of the dark for many reasons. Only had two like that over the years, Lucy Manchester terrier would never go into a darkened room or outside at night - just refused, never really knew why but she was obviously terrified and Mollie Retriever cross who was fine until she was attacked and nearly killed on our late evening walk a year before she died, from that point forward she would not go out in the dark or be in a darkened room, we had to keep a light on all night for her. Fairy lights was enough so she slept under a string of fairy lights for the rest of her life.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think they will associate night time discomfort with not peeing earlier.

With Tatze I leave the door open a tiny crack and watch her, if she comes back, I send her again (I use a torch to see whether she 'goes' or not)

I don't go out with her as I reckon she has a waterproof fur coat and I don't!

Gypsy has a spending area which is 6ft by 6ft and she's much easier to deal with - I wish I'd had one for Tatze!

:)

6. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca will go out happily on her own for a poo. She won't go out on her own for a wee and while she's a puppy we are still reinforcing treating for doing her business outside although this is being phased out.

All my parents dogs all go out on their own for both and I had always assumed that Inca would do this too when she gets older but now I'm not so sure. My theory is that both my parents have big gardens full of wildlife to sniff and hunt (dad is on a farm, mum in a small country village) whereas our town house garden is probably small and boring in comparison.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Maybe he just doesn't want to go out because it's cold?

8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Oberon, good point BUT he did the same in the Summer! I think he hears things and can smell animals or whatever out there in the dark. We have a lot of wild turkeys and they roost in the trees in the woods behind me....that could be one reason but, who knows. Seems as though there could be several reasons. I just dont want to be outside in the dark in the bitter cold! The cold doesnt seem to bother him at all. But, if this is what I have to do, it shall be done! Thanks for all the answers.