After Spay

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Skives19, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Skives19

Skives19 Registered Users

We had a our 1.5 year old lab spayed a week ago. She got an infection from licking at the incision. We tried to stop her from licking it but it happened. So now she has a wrap around her incision and they stapled the incision. She will not basically move for us to take her outside to pee and poop. Even when we do get her out there she won't do her business. It's like she is mad at us for having the incision wrapped up. Any ideas what to do and why she's acting this way?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sometimes tight garments (or even a tight bandage) can "shut down" a dog. You will probably find if you can take it off and take her out on lead that she will perform ok.
    It's obviously important to protect the wound, so keep your eye on her at all times.
    Was a collar not preventing her getting at it?

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No, she's not mad at you. Dogs are not like people. She's probably very uncomfortable. Is she on any pain relief at all? Have a chat with your vet, see what they suggest. I'm sure she'll be back to normal soon.

4. Skives19

We didn't have a cone at first because we were told she didn't need it because the spay was done with a laser. We eventually got a cone but she acted the same way she does now tail in between her legs and wouldn't move or do her business.

5. Skives19

yes she was on pain meds and now is on antibiotics and another med to keep her calm. This wrap was what vet did today and said a checkup in two weeks.

6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

My dog had to have a cone recently. She shut down - tail between legs, stood like a statute and wouldn’t move. She did eventually and got used to it. Might be worth you trying one. I took it off every time I took her out to go to the toilet. I put her lead on for this purpose. Cone back on once back in the house. It became routine.

7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @skives, so sorry she's having these difficulties. When Cassie was spayed back in Feb she had a medical tshirt, I was given the choice of that or a cone/ I found it very good as it is light weight and not tight around the abdomen. I undid the poppers and folded it back initially for wee and poo and gradually more and more until I could see she wasn#t bothering the wound.
    Is the wrap tight, is it a bandage?
    It might be worth trying the T shirt, Cass doesn't like things around her body either but once it was on she tolerated it just fine.

Edp likes this.
  8. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Meg had the t shirt too. I could not bear the thought of the dreaded cone. She managed ok and it protected her wound nicely. In fact I first read about them on here hope she’s on the mend soon.

selina27 likes this.