After surgery help

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by astyers, Nov 6, 2018.

1. astyers

astyers Registered Users

Hi everyone, I have a 4 year old black lab named Gabby who is super active and I am as well. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September and just completed surgery November 1. Gabby stayed at a kennel with doggie daycare where she is familiar with being there as she goes there anytime I go on vacation. When I went to pick her up with my sister who will be helping me over the next few weeks, Gabby seemed really nervous and anxious, she has met my sister only a few times but she also acted differently toward me. She was very gentle with me but could not calm down even with frozen Kongs. She barely slept and I had to take her back to the kennel the next day because my sister just could not take care of both of us and Gabby would not leave her alone the whole night. I am picking her back up this Sunday. She will be going to doggy daycare during the day since I won’t be able to walk her or play. Does anyone have any experience with the anxious behavior she is experiencing and how to calm her down. I don’t want to leave her at a kennel overnight for weeks, I just want her to be calm at night until we can get back to our regular schedule in late December. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @astyers
    Sorry to hear about your medical issues.

Your dog is confused. All the patterns he had learnt have changed. But he doesn't know what is the new order. How does your sister fit into this new world? Why are you not moving about? Where have you been?

I would be inclined to keep him at home all the time. Get a dog walker to come in each morning and afternoon for a walk and some play.

Try to go back to the routines he once knew, to the degree that that is possible.

I am well aware that your world has changed. And I don't mean to give your upheaval short shrift. Your dog will sense the anxiety. But will not understand it. He will calm in time. As your sister relaxes he will too.

Good luck. And good health.

4theloveoflabs likes this.
  3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I agree with Michael. I'm really sorry to hear about your surgery.

Your dog was probably just overjoyed to see you again and to be back at home with you, and all that excitement has to come out somewhere... Plus often anxiety expresses itself in a sort of manic hyper excitement as well - so probably all the changes have contributed to that.

I don't think your dog should go back into the kennel environment (or doggie daycare) now, if it can be helped.

I would like Michael recommend keeping the dog at home and getting a dog walker to exercise the dog. That would enable most routines to stay the same. Have a friend or people who come to visit, help stuff some doggie Kongs and freeze them up and that will also help give the dog something to do when people visit rather than just being manic.

But I bet once routines settle down, things will get a lot better.