Age for Agility & Flyball

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Jyssica, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jyssica

Jyssica Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi All,

Just wodnering what ages are suitable for dogs to start agility and flyball. Obviously Rolo is still too young but Im just researching for when he is older and suitable

Thank you!

2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

For agility, my instructor takes dogs from 6 months, but they aren't allowed to do jumps or any equipment like the seesaw, dog walk and A frame. Basically they do pre-agility things. To do the whole range of equipment they recommend at least 1 years old as most of the growing has been done by then.
    Unfortunately I don't know about flyball, but am guessing it will be over 1 years old for similar reasons.
    Hope this helps a bit

Jyssica likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I don't know about flyball but there is a lot you can do to prepare for agility as soon as you bring an 8 week old puppy home. Mostly it's exposure to the objects, textures, movement of some of the stations. Wobble boards, dog walks that are nothing more than a plank on the ground, small, itty bitty, changes in elevation. We did this on our own with found things like a big fallen tree log which is why my word for the dog walk is LOG ON. :) Culvert pipes, fences we had to get over anyway. Oban is the only dog I know who would naturally jump over instead of going under or around some things. Play, carefully supervised and limited, on bleachers. Not at 8 weeks old, these latter, more like 5 months, we had to wait till snow was gone anyway. I'm sure if you google you will find lots of puppy agility help.

Jyssica likes this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We tried Agility when Homer was nearly one. He was getting cheeky and needed more mental and physical stimulation.

He did well but often got overexcited, especially as they insisted on super high value treats which just put H into a spin. He works better for a handful of kibble. The trainers we had especially the main one was quite set in her ways and ideas, we persevered but eventually stopped.

We did have fun but there isn't another trainer near us. We have some plastic equipment which we take to the park in the summer and I usually get kids lining up wanting their turn to go over the jumps that through the tunnel!

5. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our dog club won't let you start until the dog is 18 months old and you must be able to display a certain level of obedience too.

However, they have introduced a 'foundation' class that builds on the skills required for agility. This is low impact and can be on-lead if needed so the younger pups can join in.

Jyssica likes this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Flygility is the big thing in Wellington at the mo, and my local club, like Emily's club, won't take dogs under 18 months and without a certain level of obedience. I've definitely got it at the back of my mind for when Xena is older.

7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh if they require a certain level obedience, poor Stanners is never getting to go :oops:

PawPrints and Jyssica like this.
  8. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Harley didn't have any level of obedience when we started. I had to stream treats constantly when we were waiting our turn. In the arena I had no chance of her sitting and waiting for me to move along the course a bit. We have managed to work on all of this since we started. I only realised a few weeks ago that I hardly ever treat her whilst waiting any more. She waits so nicely. Sitting and waiting - I can now get to the 2nd piece of equipment before she moves now (it's taken over a year to get to this!). It's a slow process for us, but we do it for fun, not for competition.

Jyssica, Xena Dog Princess and Emily like this.
  9. Jyssica

Jyssica Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for all your replies everyone, thats great! I would like to start it when Rolo is old enough for some fun, and stimulation for him!
    It sounds enjoyable for both us and our pups!

PawPrints and Naya like this.