Aggressive/Growling 2 year old lab - Help?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Makberg, Sep 16, 2024.

1. Makberg

Makberg Registered Users

I have a 2 year old black lab and 4 year old black lab.

2 year old (Gibby) growls aggressively when approached and escalates. Bit my wife. He gets excited for things (fetch, new people etc) but then once that excitement wears off and he rests, he is back to aggressive mode and WILL NOT be bothered and it's pretty scary. This has been the case with the dog since I can remember.

Gibby does seem to defer to the older lab and I've never seen him growl at the older dog. So, is maybe something amiss with the hierarchy in the home?

I have videos of this if anybody wanted to get a look. Trying to do what I can for this dog before making other decisions. Appreciate any help.

Mark

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mark. This sounds really difficult for you - everyone deserves to feel safe in their home and around their dogs. It's really important not to try to work on reactive/aggression issues like this by yourself, or via the internet. You need in-person, professional, support.

There are two important ways you can get in person help - and I would encourage you to do both of these without delay. Firstly, speak to your vet, and get Gibby thoroughly checked over in case there is a physical cause for his behavior (pain, for example). Make sure your vet knows in advance that Gibby has bitten before, so they can take appropriate precautions when meeting him.

Secondly, I would have Gibby assessed in person by an experienced canine behaviorist. I'll pop an infographic below with some advice on finding someone suitable - your vet may be able to make a recommendation.

Please do make sure not to allow him access to visitors to your home in the meantime, especially if they are vulnerable, or young. And keep him on the leash and away from the public if you take him out. This is for Gibby's own safety as well as theirs.

I do hope that between these two professionals, you're able to get the support that you and Gibby deserve. Please do let us know how you get on.

Sammie