Aggressive play biting.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Suthuncat, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

Hi all!

I read the article on this site about the difference between aggressive/fearful biting and play biting, and have confirmed Orion is definitely play biting.....but sometimes far too hard with grr-grr-grr as ferociously as he can muster. We are firmly telling him NO but that seems to spur him on!!!!

We have tried walking off from him or separating briefly, and sometimes he settles down - is this normal and will he outgrow it? It just sounds SO ferocious.

He also will sometimes air-snap if we pick him up.

He is 8 weeks old, FYI.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Aggressive play biting.....

Absolutely normal :) You are doing the right things - just persevere. You can try yelping as well, but it works for some and not others. Stopping play and moving away are the best responses. It will improve over time. Don't be alarmed :)

I can just see him air-snapping - cute in a crocodilian kind of way :)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think nearly all of us have been through this. I would say no, stand up and turn my back for a few seconds ignoring her. This worked really quickly. If I walked off she thought the game was continuing and would follow whilst snapping still :/

Hope you get this sorted quickly ;)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My mum always says - when they are being difficult or naughty, tell yourself it's a stage, and that it will pass. When they are being good, convince yourself it is their true nature shining through... :D

(Can be applied to puppies AND children ;) ).

It WILL pass.

5. Suthuncat

Thank you all for your replies!! Immense help and comfort.

One question for opinion - a friend suggested some small rocks inside a soda can taped shut and shake it once, smartly, when he is too rough. Have you tried this method of deterrent?

6. Oberon

I'd say that it's better to continue with what you're doing now, rather than going for 'startle' methods. Startle methods can go wrong, and create a puppy who is apprehensive about approaching you. If you persist with the 'stopping play' method, you'll get results in the end, plus a puppy who has learned excellent control over his teeth around people :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Persevere with what you are doing,it really will work,I didn't go through it as Dexter was past the worst when he came to us at 5 months ..but I've read so many worried posts on here and it is completely normal....and it truly does pass x

8. Suthuncat

Wonderful input - thank you!

Being mum to two young (human) ones, you'd think I'd be less easily rattled by this puppyhood stage - just goes to show.....

;)

9. Oberon

Don't worry, just as it's normal for puppies to bite like little sharks, it's normal for their humans to be utterly shocked by just how bitey and tenacious they are :)

10. Suthuncat

I suppose I should just be glad it's cold weather so my long sleeves aren't out of place.... ;D

11. Oberon

Haha - absolutely. A good argument for not getting a puppy in the summer!! :)

12. Suthuncat

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3972.msg46576#msg46576 date=1389581330]
    Haha - absolutely. A good argument for not getting a puppy in the summer!! :)
    [/quote]

a good point! breeders, take note! haha

we have narrowed down the aggressive play biting to periods of extreme excitement.... for example, when he hasn't seen the kids all day and they arrive home from school - he goes absolutely bonkers.

so, with that in mind, we're trying to work on the kids arriving home a bit more docilely, vs in a burst of sound and motion, and speaking to him calmly, rather than hysterically. i have to mind it, myself, as well!! just last night, when i'd been away from him for a half hour, i returned with much fanfare - WHO'S MY BABY. DID YOU MISS MOMMY? and naturally, what did he do, but want to tussle!!!

my own fault.... ah well. the foibles of puppy parenting... but he is such a dear, and i missed him in that half hour!

my husband just shakes his head.... ::)