I've been prompted to read about this, like many others reading this thread, I'm sure. You can pick up this parasite from stroking a dog who is infected (and has the eggs in its fur) and then ingesting the eggs that are on your hands*. It's definitely not something that is always or only picked up from poo-contaminated ground. It's important to worm your dogs and also to wash your hands before eating. The risk for adults is very low though, given that exposure to the parasite must be very high. No comfort of course to the small number of people who have suffered from an infection... *eggs have to be at the right stage of development to be infective though, apparently, either on the dog or in poo. E.g. takes two weeks for the eggs in poo to develop to the infective stage, so older poo is riskier poo.