Agility equipment at home

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by snowbunny, May 10, 2018.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I've bought some cheap agility equipment for practicing at home. It arrived yesterday and I've not set it all up yet, but I thought it might be good to review it as I try it out. This morning, I set out the weave poles. I bought these from Zooplus: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/agility_training/agility/weave_poles/119340

For the price, you can't expect precision-engineered equipment, but these poles are very sturdy with a long spike, making them very solid when in the ground - although on our very stony earth, it was a bit of a challenge finding somewhere they could be pushed all the way in! There are twelve poles and there is a handy line to use as a guide for making sure you have them at the correct distance apart (60cm) without having to measure it out yourself.

I've just put them in a straight line for now, but I will start training them using the two-by-two method to try to build a solid foundation, rather than the way we did it in class, which was just going all the way through every time.

I'm impressed with them for the price and would definitely recommend them.

The other equipment I have bought (and will review in time) is the hoop: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/agility_training/agility/hurdle_jump/119341, the tunnel: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/agility_training/agility/tunnel/46951 (I want to get a proper heavy-duty PVC one, but can't fine anywhere that will deliver for a reasonable price) and the see-saw: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/agility_training/agility/other_agility/51593
    We have our own home-made jumps that J built last year :)

2. Boogie

Boogie Moderator Forum Supporter

What fun!

I admire your dedication :)

3. snowbunny

Well, it wasn't me who built the jumps :cwl:

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Cool beans! And what does Chi (or she-who-is-yet-to-be-named) think of this strange thing called "Agility"? :D

snowbunny likes this.
  5. snowbunny

Oooh, she's been renamed. Oops, I didn't say. I even took a photo to reintroduce her, but forgot. I shall get onto that later today!

She just looks at the other dogs with a bemused look in her eye, bless her. I'm not going to do any with her for obvious reasons.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  6. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I shall eagerly await your reviews on these @snowbunny. The weave poles look good.

7. snowbunny

I set the hoop up this evening. Like the weave poles, it's plenty sturdy enough for purpose. You can raise or lower the hoop, which is a bit fiddly, but straightforward. None of the dogs had any hesitation going through it when it was at ground level and then I raised it about three inches for another go - again, no issues and they all enjoyed it. I think it's well worth the money.

I should also note, it was quite a lot cheaper for me to buy from zooplus.co.uk than it was from the Spanish version of the site! The Spanish site also required me to pay by bank transfer rather than by card or PayPal. All a bit strange, but there you go. I'm sure it's all dispatched from the same place, so for anyone in Europe looking at this stuff, have a look at the various different country-specific versions of the site. I always compare the Spanish, French and UK sites to find the best deal for what I'm buying. They all deliver Europe-wide.

8. snowbunny

I constructed the see-saw this afternoon. That was quite a task! Straightforward enough, but there were a lot of screws and no pre-drilled holes. It would definitely have been easier with two people, but J was busy with other stuff.
    I'm very happy with the finished article; the tread is perfect non-slip material and it is weighted at one end, as they should be, but not so heavy that it clatters to the floor. It seems very stable even on our uneven ground and Shadow was more than happy to use it. First impressions are that it's brilliant value for money.

Emily_BabbelHund and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Ooh looking forward to updates and photos....:)

snowbunny likes this.
  10. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's good @snowbunny, I was wondering what the seesaw would be like as it looked a really good price on the website.

11. snowbunny

I put the tunnel out later on today. Hmmm, that was less successful. I wanted to get a heavy-duty PVC one with sandbags, but there were no delivery options to here from any of the places I contacted, so went with this one. In the right ground, it would be fine, but our place is VERY stony and this is tethered all along the length with heavy duty stakes about a centimetre diameter, and two U-shaped stakes at each end. We don't have a chance of getting these into our ground, and it needs it because the tunnel itself gets blown around by a gentle breeze.

I'm not saying it's no good, just no good for where we are. If you don't have ground that is 50% stones, then you'll probably be fine. J is going to try and think of a way of making weighted tethers for it instead. We can't use the sandbags that lay over the top because it's too light material for that and they would crush it.

12. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi I’ve literally just some poles and a tunnel.
    Mason is having a great time, and so are we.