All about the Good Citizen Dog Training scheme

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by editor, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: All about the Good Citizen Dog Training scheme

Well done both of you :) two in one day is amazing :)

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Puppypal link=topic=5148.msg95511#msg95511 date=1405680609]... Puzzle has her bronze and silver test on the 1st of august, just hoping she will be calm enough and do nice heelwork which is always our downfall.[/quote]

Good luck Annabelle.

I found it really helped to tire Harvey out a little before the test as he can get quite 'hyper' when he meets people or dogs. It also helped getting to the test location well in advance of the test (30 minutes or so) so that we could meet and greet everybody before the testing started, thereby removing some of the novelty factor for Harv. Then throughout the testing I sat in the shade and chilled whenever we weren't doing anything, which I think had a calming effect on him too. (I also had a pact with a fellow trainer from my regular class to give each other a wide berth as her dog is as excitable as Harvey and they tend to raise each others excitement levels! ;) )

3. editor

editor Administrator

That is a shame, as working through the scheme should be fun. Might be worth trying a new class :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Big congratulations!super getting them done both at the same time!x

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

UB just catching up, many congratulations on such success. Well done Harvey, hope you got a very special treat for that result xxx :)

6. Edp

Edp Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I am very pleased. Meg has just passed her Puppy Foundation Assessment, bronze here we come. We both love it :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

yay! Go Meg. :) :) :)

Glad you are enjoying training.

8. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done Meg. 8) Good luck with the Bronze :)

9. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done Meg :)

10. Dexter

Congratulations ,very well done Meg x

11. Edp

Edp Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for all the kind words. We both really enjoy the session and I like having that time out set aside every week to make me focus on her. She is doing so well and copes with all the noisy distractions in the class. She is only 5 1/2 months and I think she will manage bronze quite well. Happy dog and happy owner :)

12. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have started training for the Bronze award. I didn't know about the scheme so he didn't do the puppy award but had other basic puppy training. So far he is doing quite well and I hope will pass the Bronze test soon. Our bigger challenge will be the Silver then Gold awards.

We also do agility for fun.

13. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Ziva has just started her puppy foundation last Thursday It was rather fun for both of us except I was asked to put her on lead as she was being a " Bully " :confused: to other pups she's a live wire :)

14. Dexter

Well done,I hope you both really enjoy it.

Ah was she? Or was she just being an enthusiastic,excited Labrador youngster?

15. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Not sure Dexter I,v noticed she does jump up to all dogs only dog to put her in her place is my friends dog Tess I was told that other dogs don't see her a s a threat and if she does step out of line they will tell her so when Tess does tell her she either goes into a sit or lies down so total respect I think . However Training lady said Ziva stop bulling all other pups and I to put her back on lead so she either a " Bully " or It may of been just all puppies to together and she was just the over exited one . Although there was another Lab there who is 13 weeks and OMG she is barking and growling making lots of noise so it wound Ziva up and she was the first dog Ziva went to speak to.
    Will see what happens on Thursday

Cheers

16. Dexter

Ah Marie,I just don't like that word 'bully' when they are all so little...they are just puppies and my experience of the first round of puppy classes at 20 weeks was chaos! When you have a mix of dog breeds in the class ,the lab pups are usually the strongest,most enthusiastic/ excitable and friendly.....puppy classes blew Dexter's mind....he was a handful and I was quite embarrassed.He was as bouncy with the pug pup as he was with his equal, a retriever pup....same behaviours to each dog but to the observer it looked very different ......Enjoy practicing what you've learned and come back and give us an update on your next class x

17. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Dexter ...Sorry just noticed message I'd say she was being over excited Labrador but trainer says different lol lol so not sure.
    Next Thursday is her last day but has done really well top of class last week with her sit/stays :) proud mummy moment and I not have many lol lol so fingers crossed she passes with flying colours.
    This week she did me proud again :) :) with her loose lead walking outside with 6 other puppy's t otal attention was on me most of time but was walking proud right beside me ( clicker training must be working ) :)

18. Jo Thorpe

Jo Thorpe Registered Users

Frankie starts her good citizen puppy training on Tuesday