Alternative to jumping up

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Annie & Bobby, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Annie & Bobby

Annie & Bobby Registered Users

We're currently mostly working on Bobby's jumping up. He's been here a month now and he's 5 months old.

He's getting pretty good at sitting but when he's in a more excited mood we sometimes get into a cycle of jump up; sit; mark and treat; jump up etc. By the time I've rinsed my hands and turned back to the cooking, for example, he'll be jumping up again.

Of course we're trying to keep him distracted in other ways too, like giving him a kong or another family member encouraging him to curl up on the sofa with them, but that doesn't always work.

I'm also including humping in the category of jumping up and encouraging a sit as an alternative behaviour for this too but I'm having a lot of trouble with any jobs that involve kneeling down as this seems to trigger it. Is this the best thing to to keep trying when he's not in the mood for longer term distractions? He'll be neutered next month (I know it's too early but as he's a rescue it's in the contract) will this stop the humping?

2. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Maybe get him to carry a toy while you are doing your kneeling down jobs?

3. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When Ella was younger, and going through the jumping up stage, we accidentally taught her a way to deal with the excitement of greeting us in the morning or when we'd been out. We'd stand with our legs shoulder width apart and she run straight though them and back around to the front, then through our legs again. We'd greet and pat her as she'd do this and it allowed her to get rid of the excess energy without jumping up. She still does it now when she's super excited to see us :D

4. T Reischl

T Reischl Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The kneeling down "issue". When Murph was a puppy he was with me all the time. Well, he still is now. Anyway, I was working on our shops and it involved a lot of working on the floor, either kneeling or sitting. He would come right over, put his nose in everything. I just resigned myself to the fact that he was curious about everything I did and got used to the idea that things just took longer. He eventually outgrew it.

Nowadays, if I am doing some project, or a workman comes over, and the person sits on the floor, he will come over, see what is going on for a minute or so and then wander away.

I guess he is just as nosey as I am, LOL. I like it when he comes over with that "ok, what are we doing now Ted?" look on his face. I give him a couple of pats and off he goes. Usually finds a place to park so he can watch what I am doing, in case I need some pointers.

Annie & Bobby likes this.
  5. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Probably not. Coco (neutered @ around 14 months) humps when he's over-excited in dog-play - male/female/either end. Our old Lab, Scooby, humped a little with the odd dog he met & took a hump too (he got quite cross once, when he was on the receiving end!)- no idea when he was neutered.

6. Annie & Bobby

Annie & Bobby Registered Users

Oh well, that's a shame. I was hoping there might be some good to come out of it.