Aluminium car crate

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by MattLab, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MattLab

MattLab Registered Users

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My question would be, are you after a crate to simply keep your dog contained, or to keep him safe in the even of an accident? If it’s the latter, I wouldn’t skimp and would go for a crash-tested crate like the TransK9

3. MattLab

MattLab Registered Users

Thanks for the question Snowbunny. That’s made me think!... Until my dog is well trained and well behaved, I think it’s more about containment and for the safety of all in the car. When my dog has got used to the car and is well behaved, it’s more about his safety.

I’ve not seen many people with the sturdier TransK9 or Safedog type car crates. I usually see people with simple wire crates like the hamsterbasket ones. And mostly I’ve seen dogs riding in the boot or back seat.

What do most people on here do?

Stacia likes this.
  4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have always used Hamster Baskets, he makes them to fit your car exactly, they have an escape door in as well. The crates seem very sturdy, I wouldn't consider them as 'simple wire crates'. Why not phone him and ask about the safety aspect.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, there's a toss-up of course between practicality/affordability and safety.

Given the choice, I would have TransK9 crates. However, I have four dogs and my car isn't big enough for crates for them all (although we have a new car on the way, which will be, hurrah!). So, I use a crash-tested dog guard. My car also has a 5* safety rating, which is probably the most important thing. For the occasions I can't have them behind the guard for whatever reason, I have crash-tested car harnesses - although I should mention that they are only tested up to 50kph, so although they are better than harnesses that haven't been tested at all, I have to be pragmatic about that.

My dogs would all stay on the back seat without any issue whether or not they were restrained, but my concerns are for their safety in the case of a collision, or even emergency braking situation. Not to mention, the safety of people in the car; a dog that weighs the best part of 30kg could easily kill a passenger in the event of an accident. I would also consider the possibility of the dog escaping if a window pops during a collision; a terrified dog running around on the motorway doesn't bear thinking about.

Then, you have to consider the sort of mileage you are doing with your dog. A smaller space for your dog is safer, but if you are regularly travelling long distances, then there could be implications for joints if the dog can't move about freely.

Like I said, it is absolutely a balance of what is practical and affordable, but I think as long as you are aware of these things, you can make an educated choice based on your individual circumstances.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I also understand (but could be wrong, this is only what I read somewhere) that if there is an accident and the dog is not restrained in the car, your insurance company won't pay. The reason I contain mine is as @snowbunny says, it is for my safety as well as theirs.