Am I on the right lines?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by frobozz, Sep 29, 2015.

1. frobozz

frobozz Registered Users

Ruby is a crossbred spaniel (Cocker/Springer) and we are both new to clicker training so I am looking for any tips. She is 9 weeks tomorrow. I took a video of some politeness training today - am I on the right lines? I suspect I could be clicking more often. The treat is small squares of roast chicken. I tried to upload a video and failed but hopefully you will be able to see what we did on this youtube link https://youtu.be/6-TKJajR2cI

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, and a very warm welcome! Oh, you are going to be very popular here! We adore training videos. How fantastic that you've done one already.

Well, overall, that was just lovely - what a smart girl!

You missed a few opportunities to click at the beginning, but she seemed to get it just fine. When she sort of "gave up" and disengaged from the game, I'd have stopped (she is only nine weeks) and done another 30 seconds later.

One problem that I had in teaching "leave it" with food in my hand was then Charlie wouldn't follow my hand with food to lure him, which I needed for just loads of other training. So I did my leave it training with food on the ground rather than in my hand (and kept my treats in my treat bag, not my hand). That meant I just did "don't snatch" for food in my hand, but did not build up the duration with food in my hand as you are starting to do at the end of the vid (I'd do that with food on the floor and I'd reward from elsewhere, not with the "leave it" food - but lots of people do differently).

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Gosh, your pup learnt so quickly - well done. Your method is the same as US trainer Susan Garrett teaches I think, and seems fine to me.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Ah, lovely video and such a cute girl. You should start a training log, even for these very early days. The more videos, the better. I'm awful for meaning to do videos and then forgetting, but they're lovely to look back on when you do. I think I started my training log when Willow was only nine or ten weeks - now just over a year old :)

When mine are learning new things, I like to click immediately a movement is made in the direction I want, so personally, I would have been clicking a lot earlier than in this video - the instant she averts her eyes or her nose from the treats, rather than that second or so later. Later on, you can increase the duration between the behaviour and the click (when you're asking for something that needs duration, like a sit/stay), but the click should always be at the instant the behaviour occurs in the early days. A good way of thinking of it is that the click is like the noise of a camera shutter - you want to photograph the exact instant that she does what you want.

Very well done, though, and it's wonderful that you've found out about clicker training. It's my first time training with a clicker and I absolutely love it.

More videos and photos please ;)

5. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, such a gorgeous little puppy. I don't have anything extra to add. Your training is looking good.

6. frobozz

frobozz Registered Users

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and incorporate them. I'm trying to keep training sessions short and have several during the day (and have to restrain myself from doing too much - that is the hardest part!). Is it OK using clicker to train multiple behaviours at same time (same day/s)? We are currently using clicker for the above politeness, sits and keeping 4 feet on the ground rather than the furniture and an acme whistle for recall training as per 'total recall'.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, you can train different things on the same day - although you can get into trouble if you try to shape more than one thing without having very different props or context. And I think it's good to have a break between things, and don't go from high activity (eg recall or retrieve) to quiet (eg shaping) in close sessions because that can be difficult.

8. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Nothing to add about the training. Just wanted to say hi and, oh my, she is adorable! I second Fiona; more photos please ☺