Am i underfeeding my pup?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Isaac, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Isaac

Isaac Registered Users

So my pup Gus is on Clinivet food and is 13 weeks old. It says on the bag to feed him 50g of food per kg of his weight hes 15kg at the moment so he gets 750g of food split into three meals a day but 1) he doesnt eat it all and 2) his poos have been runny so i was thinking that it was too much and maybe i should give him what i gave him at 11 weeks when he was around 12kg because he would actually eat it all.
    But is this underfeeding him? I dont know what to do about it.
    I thought he might have been teething and thats why he stopped finishing so ive started soaking the kibble in a beef broth cube which he loves but same results with the leftovers and it wastes alot because i cant leave it for later as it dries up :(
    Please tell me some of you have dealt with this? Thanks

2. chrisc831

chrisc831 Registered Users

A look at their website suggests 30-50 g per kilo, so maybe going down a bit would be the answer. I must say 750g a day seems massive to me, and I have a not overweight 23 month old 40kg boy. He is on 400g Arden grange large breed. The lower end for your feed would be 450g. You would know best the build of your boy and where on the range he would be.

Isaac likes this.
  3. Coa

Coa Registered Users

I don't know the food but that seems an awful lot!

My boy has 380g Acana large breed puppy.

Isaac likes this.
  4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, quantities very from brand to brand because different brands have different components. Some have more fillers than others. But the general rule with puppies is that stools are loose, the quantity of food at one sitting, is the primary suspect. The first thing to try, if your puppy is not getting plump, is to divide the days ration into four or five smaller portions rather than three.

If your puppy is quite plump then reduce the quantity of each food given at each of the three meals instead.

Extra meals is usually the most effective solution and it isn't for ever - in three or four weeks time your puppy's digestion will be able to cope with longer quantities

All this is just for slightly loose stools. If your puppy is having profuse or watery diarrhea, you need to run him down to the vet.

I would also avoid the broth cube, most stock cubes are very salty. :)

Isaac likes this.
  5. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

Wow, 750g seems a lot to me. Jax is currently on 2 x 198g at the moment, and looks great, and his food has been going up and up since we got him at 10 weeks (but down to 2 meals from 3 obviously).

Having said that, I have never used the food that you use.

Isaac likes this.