American vs English Labradors?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I was at the dig park today and a lady was there with a purebred Lab, which she called an American Labrador Retriever. Apparently they are quite different from the British ones? This dog was bigger than Simba, and she had a longer nose, quite pointy, actually.

I looked it up on the internet when I got home because I didn't know there was a difference. On the site I was on they said that the American Labs are akin to the "working" or field labs and that the British Labs are more closely related to the show labs.

Have any of you heard of American Labradors? Is that explanation correct?? I have to say this dog didn't really look all that "Labby" to me.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: American vs English Labradors?

Americans call show type Labs "English Labradors" (in the belief that all Labradors in England are the chunky variety) and the working type ones "American Labradors" (in the belief that America has a monopoly on the leaner, lighter style).

A better distinction would be the one used in the UK - 'show' versus 'working'. Every country has both types (although I must say that you don't see so many 'working' types here in Oz).

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lisa I know what you mean.....a Canadian lady I see always call dexter an American lab...he has got a pointier nose than a show lab for sure ,chris call him snouty.....I just call him handsome ;) x

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Interesting. I had never heard of an American Lab before, so thanks for the explanation. I still don't think her dog looked all that "Labby", hubby thought it was crossed with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or something like that, but apparently not....

5. Oberon

Ok, well that is interesting, that the dog looked like it had Staffie in it....not what I'd expect from a dog labelled as 'an American Lab'. But who knows why some people use the labels they do :)

Snap a pic next time if you can ;D

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I will...we've come across her a couple times now. I didn't think the dog was quite as "un-Labby" as hubby thought, but still, it was interesting...

7. Dexter

Snouty got taken for a Rottweiler tonight!im serious,chris was walking him..now before you all say it,it wasn't his tail end that was commented on,the apprehensive woman said he's got Rottweiler about his face.....beggars belief the folk I meet! :D

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3500.msg38921#msg38921 date=1386002729]
    Snouty got taken for a Rottweiler tonight!im serious,chris was walking him..now before you all say it,it wasn't his tail end that was commented on,the apprehensive woman said he's got Rottweiler about his face.....beggars belief the folk I meet! :D
    [/quote]

Good grief! ::)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Quite understandable. It's Dex's deep black and tan markings on his face - obviously.

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yeesh....

11. Oberon

Dexter reminiscent of a Rottweiler???? Got to be joking..... It's a wonder some people can recognise themselves in the mirror, their powers of observation are so poor....

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3500.msg38981#msg38981 date=1386017224]
    Dexter reminiscent of a Rottweiler???? Got to be joking..... It's a wonder some people can recognise themselves in the mirror, their powers of observation are so poor....
    [/quote]

LOL !!!!!!!

13. Dexter

Remember when someone said he looked like he had Pitbull in him.....?and I heard that one with my own ears! I wouldn't mind but I'm pretty sure they are banned here :eek:......

14. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Cooper was tld tat he luked like a street dog or a country one at 7 months and no one wanted to call him a lab ahhhh imagine my plight... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[