Anger in retriever training

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by AlaskaSkeeter, Mar 1, 2020.

1. AlaskaSkeeter

AlaskaSkeeter Registered Users

Anger is a human emotion and has no use in retriever training.
    New or bad trainers sometimes get mad at their dog, which can lead to a confused dog and poor performance.

Some examples:

A young retriever creeps on a live shot flyer.
    The "trainer" gets mad and "corrects" his dog, then sends him for the retrieve.
    The retriever thinks"OK I will tolerate this routine as long as I can get to retrieve the bird"
    The result is a dog the routinely creeps.

A retriever is running a blind retrieve through tall grass on a windy day.
    The "trainer" gets mad after his retriever refuses to stop on a whistle.
    The retriever does not hear the whistle and thinks "I've not heard the whistle so I must be running the correct route, so I will keep on going"
    The result is a confused retriever that walks out on his blind retrieves.

A puppy is coming back from a retrieve.
    The "trainer" gets mad because the return is slow.
    The pup thinks "I better slow down even more because the boss is mad and that means trouble"
    The result is a puppy that continues to return slowly.

A retriever runs a perfect 100-meter line then flares a patch of cover.
    The mad "trainer" recalls the retriever as a correction for flaring the patch of cover.
    The retriever thinks I must have run the wrong line, so he flares the route on the next send
    resulting in poor initial line.
    The result is a retriever that starts to bug and have poor initial lines on blind retrieves.

The best trainers I know NEVER get mad at their dogs, they try to understand from their dog's perspective.