Another day, another question - puppy noise?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by salieri75, Sep 15, 2015.

1. salieri75

salieri75 Registered Users

How much noise do your puppies make?

Ziggy is quite a talkative little pup. A bit of barking is manageable (or will be in time) and his crying when he goes into the crate for time out when overexcited usually stops after a few minutes. What I'm really struggling with is his howling before 6am. He's not crated overnight so it's not a toilet issue. He just wants attention, so we do our best ignore him as long as possible but we're so conscious of the neighbours being woken up (or worse thinking that we're torturing him because his crying can get a bit hysterical sometimes!)

Any advice?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

He's only a baby and he's awake and lonely. You're doing the right thing by ignoring it. Take a bottle of wine and some ear plugs round to your neighbours to apologise for the noise and explain that you're working on training it out. It's no worse than having a hysterical toddler living next to you - and it won't last as long, either!

My two have always been generally quiet at night. Willow (who we had at 8 weeks) did the usual crying, but only for a little while. Shadow, for some reason, has started to have a little bark just before 7am. It's only a couple of woofs, nothing persistent, but the alarm goes off at 7, so it's a bit annoying. I ignore him, but DH will get up and sit with him (albeit he doesn't give him any attention). It's something I've asked him not to do, but he says since he's awake, he might as well get up - argh!

Other than that, they have the odd little bark when they hear noises from other apartments, which we're working on, but nothing else really. Although Willow is a complete moaner/groaner when she's tired and settling down for a sleep :)

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I think Fiona's advice is great so nothing to add there.

In terms of puppy noises, I consider Ella to be fairly noisy. She doesn't tend to howl or bark much but she does groan, squeak, sleep-bark (this is the best noise hehe), loud squeaky yawn etc. all the time! When we were at puppy school they told us that noisy yawns were a sign of distress in dogs and they tried to sell us one of those pheromone jacket things to help with the anxiety. Turns out she's just a weirdo because she still does the noisy yawns nearly every time and we now know her well enough now to see when she's stressed or not. Anyway, the point to my long rambling story is that you'll soon get a feel for which noises mean Ziggy's upset and which ones mean he's just being noisy or trying to get your attention ☺

4. Finnrador

Finnrador Registered Users

Good advice and nothing I would add. I was unaware Labs made much noise although our neighbours ones did bark constantly ..but that seemed different. My last Lab only made noise when people approached the car , house or me if we were out at night. However , this time I have a whinger. Seriously . Today in the Land Rover the howly whinge started , I glanced back to find he was lying on his side clearly trying to sleep as he was tired. As soon as I took more care over the bumps in the road he shut up . Yes , I have a whinger haha! Most of his noises are attention ones. Some legit ..ish others not so much. Ignoring the ones that aren't legit are the key.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Can't offer anything in the way of advice as Juno rarely makes a noise. She's nearly 15 months and I've heard her bark on 5 occasions and one of those was at her best friends birthday party

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My latest pup is a really ..well the most polite thing to say is drama queen. He is the noisiest lab I've ever had he's always got some squeek or squeeky howl thing as an exclamation mark to what he's doing or and an announcment that he's just starting to do something or as a sing along to what he's doing. He's so funny he's happy about everything and nothining seems to dent his love of the world and everthing in it. Its all for him obviously. He never wakes us in the morning he only barks when someones at the door and is great at not making nuisance noises like howling he just likes to sing. He sounds like chewbaca or a cape hunting dog.
    He got frustrated when my friend would not pay attention to him because he was being a pushy yob and got so upset he just sat down and did his howly squeal. He was frustrated at being ignored, then remember he must be a gentleman and behaved and got what he wanted, aaar cuddles.
    I've got used to his running commentory on his life and it is very funny, he's not worried upset just happy. he does it when he plays with my older dog and he even gets her to play by doing one of his funny noises. She seems to find him funny too, she can't resist playing when he does it and she's 12 now. My other dog is 14 and now deaf so I don't think he really minds living with mister squeeky at all