Another day.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Wendy68, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Good morning!
    Not a bad night last night, only up twice but Izzy had one accident. But at least shes settling at night.
    She still has accidents, even 10 minutes after ive took her out! Is that normal?
    After getting her weighed at the vets ive realised i wasnt giving her enough food, but it seems loads! She seems to be constantly drinking, is that because shes on dried food?
    Im leaving her for a few hours today but ive got a kong ready to keep her occupied for a bit.
    My older dog is still very wary of her and growls if she doesnt leave him alone.
    Hope everyone has a good day, the sun is shining!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Another day.....

Ah Wendy ...I've been rubbish on my Forum time this week(,I live in Dubai and this has been our 'Christmas ' week .....everyone has gone that's travelling now so it will be less hectic this week ) but I've seen you've been posting about Izzy....
    I'm low on experience as I've not had a dog before Dexter and he came to us at 5 months so I don't know if it is normal to not empty herself totally when she goes out...it could be indicative of something amiss but you sound like you've recently been to the vet., I'm sure she's had a check over then,did you mention it?
    ...I think the dogs that are kibble fed do generally drink more due to the nature of their diet but again quaffing down loads might be something to check out ......I'm not being very helpful am I ...I just didn't want to pass over your post when I've not been around much x
    Someone more helpful will be along soon I'm sure x
    Best wishes angela

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'd be tempted to get her checked for a UTI if she's drinking a lot and peeing a lot. Try and get a sample and pop it into the vets :)

Kibble definitely means more drinking but if you're worried get her checked and then you'll know one way or another.

4. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

I am obviously not an expert but can tell you about Rolo. He is on a kibble diet and has access to water all day. He does drink a lot and does pee a fair amount too. I think what makes it appear they are drinking alot is how loud they are slurping away and I'm not sure if all dogs empty the water bowl every time they drink but Rolo does.

Just an idea you could do an input/output chart? Obviously measuring output is not an option but counting how long each wee takes is a good idea. Also if Rolo is chewing a bone for a long period of time he will always have a good drink afterwards.

I hope this has been useful and Izzy settles.

Just out of interest did she pass urine on the visit out into the garden? If not, she may have needed longer outside.

5. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

After studying what Izzy does, I think it's just me worrying. She seems to drink a lot but it's because she's noisy, I don't think she takes much in at a time. When she wees it's only a small amount, so it seems to be little and often. Overnight she holds for longer and does more. She seems to poo every 4 hours or so, and always outside.
    So I think I need to be more vigilant and take her out every half an hour.

6. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca was very much weeing little and often for the first couple of weeks and this was always particularly bad if we were playing with her or doing anything exciting. I was really worried there was something wrong with her at first but it was just a combination of tiny bladder + low bladder control. Once things started to improve they improved really quickly so hopefully they will for you too! Really feel for you as I know what hard work it is at the time!

7. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Good luck with Izzy...if you don't see some improvement in bladder control soon, I would encourage you to have your vet do a urinalysis to make sure she doesn't have an infection. I've been nursing Bella through a stubborn UTI FOR a month now...better to check and be sure in my opinion....

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

It's interesting how different they all are, Bella will go to sleep 11.30-12 midnight and is now sleeping through until 7.30-8 but I wake her and take her out to the loo about 5 am ish. She's 9 weeks 2 days so just wondering when I should stop waking her to take her out? Don't want her to hold on too long but should I start leaving her to just wake me if she needs to go?! Other than that she's doing ok indoors, but has weed twice on the carpet :-\ my fault for not taking her out sooner, interestingly she goes in to the kitchen and on newspaper to poo though , she will do her morning and evening poo outside. :)