Anxious in car

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Dec 18, 2013.

1. loverlab

loverlab Registered Users

Been out in car today and wiillow did a poo in car within 10 mins wasn't the runs. I let her in garden before we left. We don't take her in car often and plan was to tske her in car every weekend but with various illnesses bewteen us it hasn't happened.

Xmas eve we are driving 2 hours to my sisters! So my plan is to take her in the car every day until then and also sit with her in car giving her treats. I will also walk her before we leave for long car journey , will give her breakfast as norm then give her lunch when we get there .

She's in a crate in boot , crate is big enough. Tomorrow going to put her teddy in there and her blanket.

2. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: Anxious in car

hello, sounds a good plan but if she is still anxious after a few days of this might be worth trying a Thundershirt. My pup cried non stop everytimewe went in the car, nothing we tried stopped the small cockerel in the back...bought a thundershirt, wrapped her up...not a peep.....after a few days of car + thundershirt we tried journeys without her shirt and she was just fine....

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=debsie link=topic=3719.msg41962#msg41962 date=1387388610]
    nothing we tried stopped the small cockerel in the back...
    [/quote]
    I am laughing my head off at this ;D ;D My apologies for that if it was intentional ;D Still funny either way ;D

Loverlab, your plan sounds good to me too. :)

4. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Excuse my ignorance .... thundershirt?

5. Oberon

[quote author=MadMudMob link=topic=3719.msg42012#msg42012 date=1387406794]
    Excuse my ignorance .... thundershirt?
    [/quote]

http://www.thundershirt.com/ It's a kind of firm-fitting doggy suit that is meant to give the dog reassurance and a sense of security.

Still laughing about the small cockerel ;D

6. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Thankyou, that's me learnt something new today. Off for a nosy right now :)

7. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

Sounds like a good plan you got there. When we tried to get Odin used to be in the car we fed him a few times in the car. He's a caroholic now ;D ;D

8. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Hee hee yes the small cockerel really sounded like a very large cockerel in terms of the volume of noise she could make :).

9. Oberon

Horrendous pursuit of off topic tangent but...We've actually got a couple of small cockerels (bantams) roasting in our BBQ at the moment - got a friend who raises her own pure breed birds and occasionally I am lucky enough to get a couple of surplus boys ready for the oven. She even plucks them. A thousand times superior to the supermarket variety.

Sorry, Loverlab......back to dogs in cars :D

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He He....hope you enjoyed them Rachael!

Thundershirts are apparently pretty good - had heard of several people having good results with these.
    Also there is Adaptil that some people have found useful - a calming pheromone that you can get as plug-ins and such like.
    I'm not sure what time you need to leave, but if needs must, could you maybe miss breakfast that morning to reduce the chance of a poop? All depends on how you get on with these other strategies I suppose. Plenty of clean bedding, or maybe even adsorbant pads might be helpful, especially if its something you could just throw away somewhere handy rather than having to deal with at your friend's house, or even once getting home later. Just in case.
    Good luck
    jac

11. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Adaptil have a new tablet version (very very new as in only out this last couple of weeks) which is aimed at exactly this sort of predictable stressful event - they specifically note car journeys, trips to vet, visitors in house as indications for it. I've not used it personally but have a word with your vet if you want to try it. Unless your vets are in the middle of nowhere, a Monday morning order should have the stuff delivered on Tuesday....It's not a sedative...