Any body knows How to control

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lokesh, Sep 4, 2014.

1. lokesh

lokesh Registered Users

hello guys
    Any body knows how to control when getting for walking . sizzy runs instead of walking. how to stop running and she takes deep breath while running itself is there any problem in it.

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: Any body knows How to control

Do you mean she is pulling you on the lead?

3. lokesh

lokesh Registered Users

yes

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think the best way to train walking to heel on the lead is to practice first indoors, and only take a step when she is NOT pulling. She thinks that pulling you is the best and quickest way to get to wherever she wants to go. You need to show her that pulling does not get her anywhere. When she pulls, just stop. As soon as she stops pulling and looks at you, say 'good', and give her a small treat. Then move forward again.

Don't lose your temper; and don't think it'll happen immediately. It takes quite a bit of time for a young dog to learn that walking to heel is the best way to get a good walk! But it will work, so keep at it.

Another thing - many dogs find it easier to walk to heel AFTER they have had a run around, so if there is a way to take her to a safe place for playing and running, and then practise walking to heel with her, you may have more success.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=7656.msg107216#msg107216 date=1409920296]
    I think the best way to train walking to heel on the lead is to practice first indoors, and only take a step when she is NOT pulling.
    [/quote]

Yes, I have been doing this with Gypsy and she gets better every day. I simply stop and wait, she often sits down when I do this. I just have to be sure I don't have a destination in mind or I find I walk along with the pull, which is not the idea at all.

She is 15 weeks now and 85% not pulling at all.

She's not allowed any kind of harness so we have to get this right. It's made me far more determined than I was with Tatze, who had a front fastening harness until she got the idea.

:)

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Yup, negative reinforcment, if the dog pulls just stop. The dog soon learns tha pulling actualy makes the walk slower.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's 'negative punishment' (taking away something good, the opportunity to move forward, in order to reduce a behaviour, which is pulling) combined with positive reinforcement (adding something good, the opportunity to move forward, in order to increase a behaviour, which is not pulling). :)

Put simply, stop every time your dog pulls. Walk forward only when your dog is not pulling. You can also give treats when the dog is walking nicely. Expect very slow progress at first. You will need to be very patient, Lokesh :)