Any opinion on the best kibble?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jungle, Sep 2, 2015.

1. jungle

jungle Registered Users

We were given a big bag of kibble from the breeder - it is certainly going to last for a few weeks. He had the kibble made up for him - it is cereal free, gluton free, designed for working dogs. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about a decent kibble available that would be kind of equivalent. (is this a stupid question???) Appreciate any ideas - have been on a load of internet sites comparing dog food, but cant come to any conclusion. I know I'll need to swap over gradually - just trying to get ahead of the game. Also - haven't forgotten that I promised photos - just not had time in the constant maelstrom of work and puppy rearing....

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

You will get lots of different replies to this question, and basically they are all right.

I am very lucky. Molly appears to be Flossie Gut Bucket who can, and will eat anything, but others have dogs with sensitive stomachs.

Puppies do have very sensitive tums.

You may think you have a large bag of kibble, but don't be fooled, pups need massive amounts of food to build all that muscle, bone etc.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Its a bit of a minefield.
    The general advice is feed the best food you can afford.
    We find the All About Dog Food website pretty helpful to compare. Might be worth a look.
    Mind you, you could spend hours trying to decide (I did!).
    Also think about whether you want food you can pick up locally (in which case see what is available first) or whether you are happy with Mail Order.
    Good luck!

4. nmcallister

nmcallister Registered Users

Hi there,

I had the same questions as I wanted my boy to grow to his full potential without filling him with "nasty stuff". I asked my vet, and they just said it depends on your dog. What they can tolerate, etc. Allergies have a huge part in what is tolerated, but I do feed my boy Blue Freedom Grain Free Large Breed Puppy food and he seems to LOVE it. Has never had an upset stomach, loose stool, nothing. The protein percentage is pretty good as well. :) Hope this helps.

5. jungle

jungle Registered Users

thanks all, have looked at the all about dog food website. Who knew that there were that many.... Will take a look at the blue freedom. Plus maybe give the breeder a call and see what is the closest to his own make up.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I wouldn't get too hung up on cereal free and gluten free, unless your dog has intolerances to these things. Also, unless you're actually working your dog, I'd avoid something specifically designed for those that do; they have very different requirements to a dog that lives more of a pet lifestyle, even if you do plenty of training with him.

A puppy needs a different nutritional balance to an adult dog, so make sure that what you're feeding him is appropriate - they need a higher percentage of protein and fat than an adult. I assume your breeder had a different mix for his adult dogs and puppies? Either way, I would say there is no relevance in feeding something for "working dogs" to a puppy.

Good luck with your decision - it's a bit of a mine field.