Any tips

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

On starving a lab for 24 hours?

It's only been a morning and she is famished!!!!!!

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Re: Any tips

Good lord, I can't even imagine what that is like!
    I can't give any advice because I'm completely ignorant of that. But can she take fluids? And if so then what about a little chicken stock in her water? At least she'd feel she was tasting something...
    Poor her and poor you!
    Rosie

3. Holliesmum

I'm thinking of using the night time as well as I had only given her half her breakfast, will give some scrambled egg for tea.

Wish me luck

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Did your vet tell you to starve her?

5. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Had to do the same thing when Edsel had a partial bowel obstruction. He could have water, but no food. There was no easy way. Simply had to ignore his pitiful looks and spent some extra time just playing to keep him occupied.

6. Holliesmum

Yes I phoned the vets this morning, who said just water for 24 hours then start on a light bland diet.

Will give her some egg tonight she CANNOT do 24 hours
    :(

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Sorry is holly vomiting or diarrhea .

If she isn't vomiting it should be ok to give her a small amount of bland food. If she is vomiting but hasnt since yesterday scrambled egg for tea should be ok.

The point of starving when a dog has diarrhea is to let the gut rest and recover. However it depends on the vet. I've known vets say starve and vets who say feed bland. I was told when I questioned this that if you feed it helps whatever has caused the upset pass out and also gives the dog energy etc to get well and repair the gut.

If my dogs have diarrhea I do a bit of both. ::). I feed a small amount of bland food probably a third of normal ration split through the day for a couple of days. Then if everything back to normal I build it up by a third each day until back on full ration.

8. Holliesmum

Jen she had had diarrhoea, 4 bouts this morning of non smelling watery stools but nothing since.

She is fine in herself if not a little naughtier!!!!! But probably hungry, she is drinking and getting extra ice cubes.

She hasn't had any since this morning so hopefully whatever has upset her has passed.

:)

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

You could try a bit of scrambled egg then and see what happens ::). You could give her a bit of boiled rice with it. Not too much though and if it sets her off again starve again I'm afraid. :-\

Fingers crossed. ;D

10. Holliesmum

she has just had a small solid poo, does this mean i can give her some food or still scrambled egg???

this puppy lark is really hard!!!!!!

:D

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would give a small amount of scrambled egg/rice and see how she is with it. If she's ok, feed a small amount in a few hours. It is difficult to know what to do. Hope the diorrhea stops quickly ;)

12. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Starving a Lab for 24 hours ???

Holy moley, I cant begin to imagine the grief.

Good luck.

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

If she is still solid in the morning I would give her a third of her normal food ration spaced out between her usual meal times. Two thirds on Saturday, full ration Sunday.

Glad she's improving. :D

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How is she today?

15. Holliesmum

Friday was fine back to normal self,

Saturday she has had really bad diarrhoea again, not eating or drinking from her bowl (eating lots of ice cubes though so still hydrated) and sleeping a lot really biting on everything,

hubby has starved her again today and is going to give her some scrambled egg, she has picked up and running around like a loon.

I'm wondering if her diarrheoa is from teething like babies get??? Or am I just talking nonsense????

I'm not convinced it's a bug as her poo is now solid????

16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

If it happens again I'd take her to the vet. :-\

There are some bugs that can cause symptoms a bit like that. For example my dogs had campylobacter. They would have one or two day of diarrhea a week. That was it but after the second week I decided there must be something going on and took a sample to the vet.

When was she last wormed ? I think I'm right in saying worms can cause an upset stomach.

Hopefully it will sort itself and she's fine now. I don't know about the teething thing. Don't know much about babies so didn't know it gave them diarrhea either. ::)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Unless she is back to normal now - vet visit. In small pups, you don't want things like this going on.

Best of luck with it.

18. Holliesmum

Jen, we advocate 4weekly and drontal was done 9 weeks ago?

Will see how she is tomorrow and if no better I'll pop her and a sample to vets on Monday, like I said she is ok in her self apart from not eating, she wolfed the egg down and is now sleeping.

Thanks again everyone