Are deer or elk antlers safe for puppies to chew on?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ReneeS., Jul 29, 2016.

1. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Hello Everyone,
    As the day draws nearer to getting my chocolate lab puppy, I am shopping, shopping, shopping! I have a question about the deer or elk antlers for puppies to chew on. Are they considered safe from splinters, etc. Just wondering what experiences everyone has had with these. I have plenty of chew toys for the new one, kongs, etc., but wondering about the deer or elk antler. Thanks.

2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think that antlers are too hard for dog teeth. We used to give them to Holly and she would work at them very hard. After reading a few posts about dogs cracking teeth on antlers we went back to more traditional chews.

charlie likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm with @Hollysdad. My two have never had them because the posts about teeth damage made me think it's not worth it. Kongs are your friend. Get lots (and lots) of Kongs :)

Hollysdad likes this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's a no to antlers here too - just too hard.

5. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Agree, I also think they are too hard and threw mine away as was worried for his teeth. As Snowbunny says kongs,kongs and more kongs!!!

6. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Thank you soooo much everyone for your feedback. Glad I did not purchase one. I have six kongs to start out with and various chew stuff, nylabones, etc. I have quite a new supply of chew stuff, just can't name them all. They are all sitting in a box downstairs waiting for the new pup.

samandmole likes this.
  7. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Lucky pup :)

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We used to buy antlers (Sheds) but they are very expensive and very hard. We found some Nylabone (type) artificial antlers that have ground antler in them. The dogs seem to like them, and they are cheaper and softer. Our dogs tend to loose toys outside because their friends come over and steal them, so we like things we can find.

9. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Thank you for the suggestion of the Nylabone type with ground anter in them, I'll have to check that out!

10. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Sheds where I live can be had from any farmer for no charge, but with that said I was surprised at how hard they are. The first clue was when I had to use an electric chop saw to cut them down. They have no give. Bluestone is softer. Glad I didn't spend any money on them. No I don't recommend them.

JulieT likes this.
  11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gee, ok, they are even harder than I thought!!!

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Like @Hollysdad I threw mine in the bin, way too hard and I wasn't prepared to have any dental issues that cost a fortune, it's just not worth it when there are alternatives.