At wits end, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SueM, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SueM

SueM Registered Users

Hi
    I posted here a little while ago about Jake being aggressive. It seems to be getting worse, I was in garden with him and told him to go in from garden and he started growling and was bearing his teeth at me, this always seems to be the case lately when I tell him to do something and he doesn't want to do it. Last night when I went upstairs, Jake followed me and I was just getting changed in to my pjs and for no reason he started jumping at me and biting/growling at me. I told him no in a loud firm voice and he continued, I repeated with the firm no and turned my back on him and ignored him, he continued with the behaviour, jumping and biting back of my leg. Problem is he looks and sounds so aggressive he actually scared me a little. He hasn't been castrated and not even sure if that will help. I'm at my wits end, this is happening on a daily basis and I'm really worried he might hurt someone. In every other way he is a very good boy, it's just this biting and jumping. Not sure if it's just aggression or excitement. Really don't know what to do. All advice gratefully recieved.

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: At wits end, advice needed.

Hi Sue. If Jakes a puppy it's not very likely that what he is doing is true aggression, it's more likely triggered by excitement, but I'm definitely not an expert I'm afraid. I can pass on is experience with our dog and that might help. We had real issues with Lady mouthing and nipping when she was little. We had her from 6 months old so the habit was fairly well entrenched. Our approach was the firm no, and turning the back as you are doing plus if necessary push her away with a really firm no. If she persisted we put her out of the room and ignored her for a couple of minutes before letting her back. She got the message pretty quickly but it had to be reinforced over and over again when she got excited and out of hand again.

Actually it turned out that in our case it was her getting over excited that was the trigger.

She was absolutely manic as a puppy and we had to religiously avoid any boisterous play with her as this triggered the mouthing + jumping up that could actually be quite frightening especially if one was doing something on the floor and she started as she could easily overpower ne for example and it was really difficult to break away and then got frightening. It seemed like aggression, but was actually just over-exuberant play. If it had been allowed to persist I think it would have become aggressive.

She seemed to get pumped up with adrenalin really easily and it took a couple of days to wind her down again - keeping her calm, stroking her with long calming strokes down her back. It sounds nuts now writing this all down, but keeping her calm seemed to work.

Then of course it was a complete other ball game when out and meeting strangers. It was essential to put her on the lead and make her sit when strangers were approaching especially if they were none doggy. Again with firm no's and asking the strangers to please, please ignore her. Dog people understood fully, but none dog types were to be honest a bit of a nightmare and they often pretty much did one of two basic things when they saw our adorable puppy.

a) ignored us to bend down and pat the dog anyway.
    b) flapped their arms all over the place.

The important things we found were to be consistent and mouthing was NEVER allowed to pass un-checked, and to keep her calm.

In our case it was a long process, but it was a pretty well entrenched habit when we got the dog. She's not a rescue dog but she has history that is a complete other story.

She was a puppy for over 3 years. She's now 4 and has a lovely nature - very gentle if a little serious.

Hope that helps.

3. David

David Registered Users

4. SueM

SueM Registered Users

Hi
    Thanks David I will certainly look at the link, Jake is 8 months. I thought it was more excitement rather than aggression as he does this also when we put coats on or if he hears his lead etc. To try and stop him when he's waiting for a walk I remove his lead until his excitement has calmed and then put lead back on, seems to be working for now. It's just when he's baring his teeth and growling at me it can be quite scary, Jake is a big boy and very strong. Someone I know had suggested a good hard smack when he behaves like this, in there words " you need to show him who's boss". I understand that he needs to know I'm the boss and not him but resorting to hitting I think is the wrong way to do it. I don't want Jake to behave through fear. Up to now I have just been telling him No firmly and turn my back to him, if he persists he gets put in the garden for a 10 minute time out. I really hope in time this works with Jake.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Sue this is no fun for you. But I think you are right - be firm but kind with him. Don't allow yourself to be cowed by his bad behaviour - if he bites or growls say 'NO' firmly, and put him in another room for a couple of minutes. I also think he gets over-excited, and being put away from whatever it is that is setting him off should give him pause for thought and show him that biting etc gets him NOTHING. What he wants is rough, boisterous play with you, which is just not on. Make sure you praise and pet him when he is being good and calm. Keep us posted how things get on.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are definitely right not to smack him. I would agree that his behaviour is all about play. He's behaving towards you like he would towards another doggie playmate. Just watch how they play - it's all pushing and shoving and running and grabbing and wrestling, often with a lot of noise. The growling is a little unusual but the rest of it is all play-like. I think he is just super excited.

Turning your back (with time out if necessary) and calming the situation down is a good strategy. Hang in there! :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sue,I can't add anything but just wanted to say from reading other similar posts it does improve ....so don't get too down about it,not nice while it's going on though x
    Angela x

8. SueM

SueM Registered Users

Thanks guys, I think it's definitely going to take a little time to stop this behavior. The firm No, turning my back and a time out seem to be working slowly, I'm confident if I persevere that he will soon realise this behaviour gets him nothing. He's usually a quick learner so fingers crossed it's sooner than later.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just wanted to say that Lilly is a REAL growler when she plays - both with dogs and ourselves. Its actually quite alarming, even now we are used to it!

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi is a growler too :) He growls when he gets a good back scratch too...(while otherwise looking like a total sook).