ATOM dog dryer

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by JulieT, Apr 26, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I bought this a while ago, but only tried it out for real today.

Chalie had been to hydro, and as usual I still had a damp dog when I got home, despite best efforts with towels and the dryers at the hydro place.

It took 5 minutes with the ATOM to get him completely dry - this is not 5mins from sopping wet, it's 5 mins from "still too damp to go to bed". It is better than the pet groomers provided at the hydro place. It has more power and an adjustable heat setting. It was particularly good at blasting/drying the very thick fur around his neck and on his back - it sort of blasts the water out, rather than evaporates it (so care needed if using it inside if the dog is still a bit muddy, you'd get a lovely splatter pattern on the kitchen cabinets ;D ).

As I mentioned in earlier posts, you need to take your time getting a dog used to the noise and powerful blasts of air from this, but Charlie is completely fine with it, although can still get a little silly when having him tummy dried! ;D

I reckon it would be a good 15 minutes effort with the dryer to get just a towel dried labrador completely dry though.

The only thing is that because the heat setting is completely adjustable, it would be possible to set it too hot - these dryers are marketed both as pet groomers and motor cycle dryers! I guess motor bikes can take a higher heat setting.

It wasn't cheap at all, but now I've tried the normal pet dryers and this one both on the same day, I'd go for this one.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: ATOM dog dryer

Helpful review Julie.
    I am pretty sure this is the dryer that is used at our hydrotherapy - it is a very efficient blasting device, but does take a while to work the dog up to being comfortable with it.
    Before the dryer, it helps to remove as much water from the coat as possible. They use these super absorbant shamois-like towels. They sell them on the hydrotherapy website here but I am pretty sure they are the same as these ones
    They are very efficient and highly recommended too.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Have ordered those shamois to give them a go, thanks - would be much better than carrying a big stack of towels (like I do now).

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Need to exercise your muscles in the wringing out process LOL - hope you find them helpful :)

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm going to order some too, I carry far too many towels everywhere ;)

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5614.msg71184#msg71184 date=1398538710]

The only thing is that because the heat setting is completely adjustable, it would be possible to set it too hot - these dryers are marketed both as pet groomers and motor cycle dryers! I guess motor bikes can take a higher heat setting.

[/quote]

Awsome, I am both a biker & dog owner so this ticks both box's.