Average size of a lab puppy..

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SophieW, Aug 5, 2018.

1. SophieW

SophieW Registered Users

Hi. I have never had a lab puppy before but have had others.. i have a quick question, how big on average inches to sholder etc.. are 8 week old (and there on) labrador puppies. Is there anyway to guess what her overal size will be?
    Thank You for any help in advanced

2. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my two.

I think the only way to guess at the final size of your dog is by looking at it's parents and even that is no guarantee. Labradors come in a vast array of different shapes and sizes and a lot depends on whether they're from stocky show lines or the more athletic lighter framed working lines.

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Their size at 8 weeks is not a good indication of how big they will be full grown. Cooper was 5.5 lbs at 7 weeks, and full grown is between 75 and 80 lbs. 25" at the withers. Tilly was 7.5 lbs at 7 weeks, and full grown is about 60 lbs and 21" at the withers. Their parents are a better indication, since Cooper's mom was 70 and her dad was 80, both tall lean dogs. Tilly's dad was a tall lean dog while her mom was short even for a bench dog. All 4 of them had field trial or hunting titles.

4. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

5. SophieW

SophieW Registered Users

Thanks for all replies :) i will watch how she grows with interest.! her mum was very lean and at the moment she is as well, no chunkyness at all really