Bad habits ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Jul 18, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just wondering if anyone has an ideas as to how to break this habit of Millies or maybe we wont ever manage it ?
    She dives for stones ( I will get that photo !) , sometimes they are massive ones , then somehow, given her tiny size, she manages to drag them out of the river where she bites at them and then attempts to bury them . We did get a small sized tennis ball, hoping that we could distract her, it worked for a day or so, then back to the stones again . Her canine teeth were already chipped when we got her and we really dont want to make them any worse , its obviously a very deep rooted habit with her and one we would like to break if possible . Our usual early walk is by the river so its proving difficult ::)

2. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Re: Bad habits ?

Hi Kate

I have a diver too - Maia disappears from view and then pops up again like a cork!
    How about transferring Millie's interest onto another sinking (but tethered toy (small solid quoit on a long string?) with rewards for bringing back the sinker but not for stones?

3. kateincornwall

Ooo , what a good idea, thanks Kerryn , will try anything :) Millie also disappears, its a tad disconcerting ::)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What about a little doggie life jacket/floatation jacket so she can't dive? How deep is the water where she usually goes fishing for stones?

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=2037.msg17454#msg17454 date=1374146555]
    What about a little doggie life jacket/floatation jacket so she can't dive? How deep is the water where she usually goes fishing for stones?
    [/quote]

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Is it a case of sticking her head under water or does she really dive? Then a life jacket would be an excellent idea, making her too buoyant.

6. kateincornwall

No, she does a proper dive under, like a little duck, just her back end poking out and sometimes disappearing if she is in the deeper pools which are about 4 ft deep :eek: . Pity the life jacket I got for Sam is so huge, he doesnt need it now, swimming like a pro ::)
    Thank you for the suggestions :)