Bad weather = good walk?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by bbrown, Oct 8, 2012.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Foul weather here this afternoon, mizzly and cold. Funny how sometimes the worst weather turns out to hide the nicest walks. Baby bundled up and waterproofs donned we headed to my new favourite route. It's a nice path with cover and long grass either side but then bounded by sheep fence so pretty secure. This meant Riley got to run free Quite a bit and he was terribly well behaved. He came back when he was called and has even started to sit to the whistle at a distance, previously he thought I wanted him to return and sit in front of me so little improvements but very nice all the same.

I'm also trying to get him to return to me whenever the buggy stops and he's slowly getting the hang of it and hopefully this will mean if I have to sort the baby or the buggy out Riley will come back and wait til I'm ready.

We did have a bit of a challenge on the way back to the car as there were dogs ahead of us so back on the lead he went and anyone watching will have thought I was mad as I constantly kept stopping and reversing until Riley remembered what walking to heel was. Luckily lizzie was asleep so didn't notice how long the last bit took! He got admired in the car park as terribly well behaved and I chuckled to myself as I know he'd have been off if he hadn't been attached ;D

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Bad weather = good walk?

It sounds as though you are making some real progress with Riley! :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Bad weather = good walk?

Not easy, a baby AND dog, so good on you!!