Barking and Defensiveness..

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Katie_Tom_and_Ben, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Katie_Tom_and_Ben

Katie_Tom_and_Ben Registered Users

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum, we picked up our trusty labrador back in September at 8 weeks. He lives at home with us but during the day, Mon - Fri he is with my mum and dad from around 9 - 4 so that he isnt left alone! Since we have had him (I would say from around 3 months) he has been vary wary of other people whilst he is at home (at our house or at my parents). He barks at people passing and when the door is knocked. He is generally okay with people whilst we are out and about walking and is fine (if not a little bit excitable with other dogs). Recently, he has become more defensive of my husband and I also, we went up into the lakes last weekend and he growled at a little girl that tried to pet him at the breakfast table, rather concerning.

Now, I dont know if things are being made worse by adolescence? I would welcome opinions on this, can this change things? He is 7 months now, has all his big teeth and is definitely becoming a bit of a teenager! We have contacted a behaviorist, but just wondered if anyone thinks this might naturally calm down, or any top tips for dealing with it? Thanks in advance!

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

You leave them beef eaters alone

3. SwampDonkey

Sorry that message was intended for someone else entirely. so sorry:oops:

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, I did wonder what you meant. I thought I was falling short of your sense of humour ( not for the first time :D )

To @Katie_Tom_and_Ben I would say, firstly, don't let strangers pet your dog. He obviously doesn't like it and it's not people's right to approach any dog. My two older Labs (3.5 years) are wary of strangers and I have to tell people not to pet them as they hate it and are likely to bark out of nervousness. You get used to being short with people, but you have to advocate for your dog. Just like some people aren't very sociable, it's perfectly acceptable that our dogs are allowed to feel the same.

Around about this age, your dog is losing his dependence on you and learning to work out what is a threat for himself. That can make dogs quite sensitive at this age. You need to avoid him being scared through this period, as it might "stick", so I would avoid any interaction with strangers if he doesn't like it. He should, instead, be learning that strangers aren't going to come up to him and put their hands on him, as otherwise his anxiety is proven to be justified. He can also learn that, if barking at them doesn't keep them away, that he has to escalate his behaviour in order to scare them off.

If you can set up scenarios, you can have strangers toss him treats from a distance without looking at him, approaching him, bending over him or talking to him. Just as a nonchalant thing. This will demonstrate to him that strangers give him good stuff without posing any threat.

Pilatelover and Karen like this.
  5. SwampDonkey

Bet you're wondering who it was for though:D

6. Katie_Tom_and_Ben

That did make me laugh.. I dont intend to do anything to do beef eaters! :confused:

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

:):)
    How are thing going with your puppy? What is his name? Have you seen behaviourist yet?

8. Katie_Tom_and_Ben

Hi all! So, I did get in touch with a behaviorist, I filled out a questionnaire and am waiting to hear back! I read a lot at the weekend, and also the guidance above. Yesterday morning we walked our puppy (Ben) early doors and on the way back our neighbors were just getting out of their car on their drive. I have read a lot this last week about positive reinforcement training, so this time instead of ushering him into the house telling him to be quiet, my husband distracted him with some high value treats! It worked a treat (pardon the pun). He stood on the drive with us as we chatted to our neighbors, gave them a good sniff and licked the babies toes! He was a dream! I know that this is a one off and we will need to continue with this sort of training but it definitely worked. Bearing in mind this is the same neighbor that he ran and barked at the week previous!

I think we will still go with the behaviorist, as there are a few things that need addressing, but I think we are definitely making headway with the positive reinforcement and also, making sure he knows he is a dog! Not feeding him tit bits at the table, and making sure he eats at mealtimes and lifting food he doesn't eat. Thanks for all of your responses! Even the beef related ones! ;)

selina27 likes this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s good news Kate :)

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. It sounds like you are making positive progress already which is great. Positive training really does work as long as you are consistent. My girl (4 years old) doesn’t like my neighbour and always barked at him. I done the same as you with treats and she now ignores him - he’s scared of dogs so this is a good thing.