Barking at people from the window - is this progress?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Nov 5, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

A certain Small Black Dog takes delight in rushing to the window and barking at all and sundry in the street. It's a real pain. She comes and finds me if I ignore her and huffs and puffs and then rushes back to bark again. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and it seems pretty much impossible to break as a habit, although I have been working on it. Well, today Gary the window cleaner arrived and walked over the front grass and put his ladder up the front of the house. She huffed and puffed, but did not bark or jump up when I said *It's ok, it's Gary". Woohoo this may be progress at last.

Or maybe not .......

;D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Barking at people from the window - is this progress?

Just pretend that everyone is there to clean the windows and you should be right.

But you have to ask yourself - has anyone ever broken in through the front windows? No, says Lady.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Brave small black dog!

Riley does the same if anyone comes to the door. He is always incredulous when you don't leap up to check what awful monster he's saved you from with his early warning and rushes backwards and forwards checking they haven't come in while he was warning you.

If it's anyone he knows he just honks like a goose with the excitement of a visitor ::)

He's honestly not a noisy dog ::) ::) ::)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Well done Lady, I have a theory here, she likes the window cleaner because he makes it easier to look out and bark at people ;D ;D ;D

I do wish Sam would bark , never a peep when the doorbell rings , doesnt even look up whereas the small scruffy one is another kettle of fish ;)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

This post has gladdened my heart David,I'm having worries about barking that I've posted on Behavior and it has cheered me up to remember that dogs are dogs and dogs bark sometimes! ;D thankyou x

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yes, that's us too.
    No-one gets to ring the door bell without a thorough barking.
    That includes the "door-bell" on dad's new i-phone. Great hilarity that one was ::) Poor Lilly.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Major bark-fest here too. Obi always looks thrilled to be able to perform guard dog duties. Just loves meeting delivery people too...

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have not got a barker, the only time he barks is in the back garden if he hears the little tinker bell the annoying cat wears :)

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Simba is pretty silent for the most part but he does bark at the occasional person....or cat...hard to say what it is that triggers the barking in one person vs another. Yesterday he was really disturbed at a person who was standing for the longest time at the corner of our cul-de-sac. Don't know what she was doing...neither did he, I guess.
    This morning as we were walking he stopped dead (in the middle of the street as we crosses :eek:), hackles up, and growling at ....a truck? A car? Both of which were parked along the road....he refused to go near and I had to angle past the vehicles.....