Barking at people walking by

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lismarie33, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Lismarie33

Lismarie33 Registered Users

We have a 9 month old lab who is trained to stay in the yard with an invisible fence when he goes outside. When people walk by, he barks somewhat aggressively at them while following them (from inside the yard) as they walk by. I'm a little concerned because kids walk by every morning for school and he does the same thing to them. I don't want them to be afraid of him but they are starting to not want to walk on our side of the road because of him. Even when they walk by across the road, he barks constantly at them. He also barks ay my kids when they leave the yard to go down the street. Even if I'm home and start to play with him outside he will go back to barking at them every few minutes. Any advice on how to get the barking under control? I don't want people to be afraid of him and I also don't want a dog that is a nuisance to our neighbors by constantly barking.

Thanks!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you :)

Is there a reason he's alone in the garden?

My dogs are only ever in the garden when I'm with them, then I can deal with any unwanted barking.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Here is some more information about barking and "passer-by syndrome": http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-barking/

Agree with Mags - the best way to counter it is to ensure he's never alone outside.

You might also want to rethink the "invisible fence" - these simply aren't safe enough to ensure your dog doesn't escape. If he sees something he really wants to chase, the adrenaline will mask the pain that is inflicted by the collar, so he will pass the threshold. This could mean that he runs out into traffic and gets knocked down, or is simply lost or stolen. If he does return once he's finished the chase, he won't be able to get back in, because the adrenaline would have died down and so the pain of the collar will be enough to deter him from crossing back.

Also, who wants to "control" their dog by pain, when a physical fence does a better job?

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We had an invisible fence for our first Lab, and I would not do it again. Ginger would go through it occasionally and then not be willing or able to come back in the yard. If I had a very large lot and could turn the fence up to make a 20' wide barrier, it might work ok, but a real fence is a lot better. With a real fence you don't have to worry about people or other dogs coming into your dog's space.

Invisible fences also create an interesting training problem. Your dog has to go through it if you want to take her for a walk, so you have to turn it off. The only way she knows whether it is on or off is by testing it.

Tilly will occasionally bark at people walking by, if she is in the house and can't see them. If she is on the porch, she just watches quietly. We can't figure out how she knows someone is out there, since she is pretty much deaf, and there are no windows that she can see out of. Our house is about 30 ft back from the sidewalk. I suppose her nose is that good, but if so it amazes me.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

What country are you in? Only asking because some countries have laws that state if anyone feels threatened by a dog in any way, even if it is just by being barked at a lot, they can be reported and investigated by the police/RSPCA.