Barking at the cat

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elaine06, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Elaine06

Elaine06 Registered Users

Hi everyone,

We have had Jack now for 3 weeks and he is wonderful. The only issue is his behaviour with the cats and the rabbit. He is fine if I am present and watching them but as soon as my back is turned he bounces and barks..one cat stands her ground and hisses but the other runs away and then I feel guilty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elaine

2. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

It takes them awhile to figure out that the cats don't want to play with them. :) Our George is 8 months now, and while he still occasionally thinks its fun to chase after a cat (we have three), he has gotten SO much better. It really just took time and him knowing he was not supposed/we did not want him to bark/chase/bounce by the cats. It was really stressful those first few weeks, but he has definitely gotten the hang of behaving around creatures that don't want to play with him.

EmmaHughes and Elaine06 like this.
  3. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

We too have a cat and a nearly 6 month choc lab. We were told by many that the cat would be in charge. Sadly not. Mason the pup chases him and then barks and whimpers tail wagging when cat is on higher ground.
    I feel guilty as cat now spends a lot of time upstairs and the puppy forever growing Mason is either sitting in his chair or will chase at any opportunity. Does cause friction between me and my husband.