Barking for attention

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by gad, Jul 3, 2014.

1. gad

gad Guest

Murphy is now 14 weeks and our first lab who's a barker. He barks when he wants us to play with him, if that is ignored he steps it up a notch to bark and bite. Ignoring it works after a time usually but if not then a short, one minute time out in his crate does the trick.

I was wondering if this was an opportunity to teach bark and quiet? I'm kind of reluctant to reward the barking just in case a I get the quiet bit wrong, then I end up with a real barker!

I watched this
    http://youtu.be/0vtn8NhofOw

So can you do the teach bark and quiet in the same session?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Barking for attention

My sincere sympathies. I have a barker too.

You can definitely teach a 'bark/speak' and 'quiet' cue. I haven't watched the vid as it's only 6am here and I don't want to wake up the household but here's what I did to teach 'quiet':

- pick a time when barking is highly likely
    - treats and clicker (or marker word) ready
    - dog barks - C&T while barking happening (you're rewarding barking)
    - dog is quiet (because shocked at being reinforced and also is eating treat), say 'quiet' and then C&T (in that order)

Repeat on different occasions to create association between stopping barking, your 'quiet' cue and reward. In time you will be able to use your 'quiet' cue while barking is actually happening, to turn off the barking. First time you do this successfully give a jackpot food reward. So that's the bit where you teach the quiet cue. I don't over-use this cue - I use it to stop barking at neighbours or people walking past (using the cue brings Obi running in for a treat) and at the dog club during classes.

Teaching a 'bark' cue is somewhat easier. Choose a situation where your dog will bark right at you, looking at you. Wait for barking and as barking is happening use a visual cue of yoir choice in front of the dog's face and simultaneously C&T. For a visual cue I have my hand with finger tips together and pointing at dog then spring hand open like a starfish then close fingers again. Repeat on different occasions. Add a word cue. Step after that is to start using your word cue and hand signal before the behaviour (barking) to elicit and then reward the behaviour.

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Really helpful explanation Rachael, I'll put that in the resources post.

4. gad

gad Guest

Thanks Rachel, off to look out the clicker :)

Funny how they're all different isn't it, our last lab never barked - it took me ages to teach him to 'speak' and it was hilarious watching him psyche himself up to actually bark! I often wish I had a video of it, but it's a happy memory of him.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Same here! I simply could not teach my first Lab to speak. No matter how much I tried to rile him up he simply refused to make a murmer!! Too polite :) Obi, on the other hand, is an opinionated little munchkin who won't hesitate to shout right in my face. Teaching the 'quiet' cue has really helped though as now he at least has an 'off' switch. :)

6. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Thanks Rachael. That is really helpful. Milly has not been much of a barker but has recently discovered her voice. All bravado of coarse. She almost wets herself when another dog barks back. Lol

7. amandamumma

amandamumma Registered Users

Hi all,

I have been watching the TreatPouch video on youtube on Teaching a dog to stop barking and reading the comments on this thread, but my girl will usually only bark when she is in her crate and doesn't want to be. I cannot get her to bark outside of the crate really, and she only does bark when she thinks she is missing something, i.e. when we have to give her a time out.

Will this technique work training her to bark and be quiet whilst in her crate? I am thinking it doesn't make any difference, but then I am no expert... :p

Lily will bark early morning as soon as I quietly tiptoe out to the bathroom, to let me know that she wants to be let out, but as I say will usually only bark when she is bored or frustrated with being in her crate for a time out. It is a bark/howl/cry/strangled noise to really make a point.

I once saw a thread where the water spray was used to prevent problematic barking; is this as good as the click for bark/quiet method?

Many thanks as usual everyone.