Barking in one of his crates

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by grammykate, Dec 7, 2018.

1. grammykate

grammykate Registered Users

I have an almost 4 month old yellow lab and he does great at night in his crate in our bedroom and also the crate that is in the office, but the crate in our Living Room he mainly barks when he put him in there. I put him in there when I need to take a shower or do other things around the house that I can't give him my undivided attention. We've tried giving him treats when we put him in there and he doesn't even touch them. When we are in the Living Room watching tv he will sometimes go into the cage by himself and take a little nap, so I know he's not scared of the crate. The crate in our bedroom is the same make and model as the one in the Living Room. Any advice would be nice....as there are times we need to put him in there if we want to leave the house for a short period of time and we don't like knowing he's in there barking all the time. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

It doesn't take much to spook a dog. Maybe something you're not even aware of scared him in the living room. Try putting the living room crate in a different location facing the opposite direction. See if that helps..

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @grammykate

It's certainly worth trying @Jade's suggestion. Presentation matters to dogs.

If that does not work I suspect your dog does not like being in that crate when you are out of sight. Put the dog in the crate and disappear for a second. Come back, if your dog was calm and did not bark, then mark that behaviour and reward.

Over many repetitions gradually increase the time you disappear. Keep rewarding calm behaviour.

grammykate and Jade like this.