Barking when on the dog and bone....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hello

So Bella likes to bark at me when I'm on the phone, I'm pretty sure this is about me not giving her my full attention, ( it's just us two). As soon as I'm done on the phone so is the barking. She's not usually a real barker ( only if she wants to play with me etc and noticeably in the vets today after a dog growling and barking at her after 5 mins she barked back ! ) but never when someone knocks on the door or if I've friends over ( she did used to jump all over me and try and bite their feet). She's actually quite timid around people and backs away if people get too close.

Anyways, I've tried turning my back , the usual approach if she starts barking, ( usually leads to a lovely sit and no barking) also leaving the room. I think my previous approach of playing with her / interacting when on the phone hasn't helped, but I couldn't hear the other person!!! So I've tried to stop that.... but she just carries on barking and play biting. Any ideas?? Pretend I'm on the phone and click and treat for quiet was my first idea??

2. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Re: Barking when on the dog and bone....

sounds like she's pretty dependent on you, and needs more time by herself. C&T for quiet in multiple scenarios, is probably good...but I would train another "alternate behavior probably....and of course proof it with a ringing phone, talking on the phone, that sort of thing. Maybe an "on your bed" or similar - so the times when you want her to just give you some space, she will know the command and know it means under any circumstance that you ask for.

I think I would go for an on your bed, and be prepared to string treats along for a while as she is learning...and then increasing the duration between treats.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie used to get very excited when I was on the phone - I think it was actually because he could hear the other person. Holding the phone without someone talking didn't generate the same reaction. I'd say just put her in another room when you want to use the phone, or completely ignore her so she gets no reward at all for barking.

Charlie just grew out of it...

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=10328.msg151851#msg151851 date=1427222222]
    sounds like she's pretty dependent on you, and needs more time by herself. C&T for quiet in multiple scenarios, is probably good...but I would train another "alternate behavior probably....and of course proof it with a ringing phone, talking on the phone, that sort of thing. Maybe an "on your bed" or similar - so the times when you want her to just give you some space, she will know the command and know it means under any circumstance ;D that you ask for.

I think I would go for an on your bed, and be prepared to string treats along for a while as she is learning...and then increasing the duration between treats.
    [/quote]

She's on her own during the week between 9-12 and 1-4pm, puppy sitter takes her out for an hour at lunch. Funnily enough the phone ringing doesn't bother her at all, only when I'm chatting away eg even if I make the call. Yer maybe I need to teach another command. In your bed works in the kitchen, where crate /bed is, but her living room bed is packed away right now as she kept peeing on it ::)

Yer true ,maybe she can hear grandma who she loves ;D

5. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

I think the difference between being totally on her own vs doing stuff on her own while you're there. Possibly she is okay on her own when you're gone, but when you're there, she's very dependent on you to entertain her? I'm running into this issue with Maisie. We do a walk to the limit of how long she can go per 5 min rule, play, have a treat ball or something to play with, and then I go to do something without her and she can't stop whining at me or trying to get me to play. It's not *always* like this, but it can be. I'm trying to get her to leave me alone at times, although it possibly comes with maturity?

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Yes true, I put her in the kitchen on occasions eg if I'm eating tea , working etc and she usually sits and waits after a little moan, and when I'm getting ready on a morning she is ok on her own in the living room watching tv / sleeping. BUT tonight........ she was a terror!!!!! I had a massage so put her in the kitchen, she howled/barked the house down so after ignoring her I had to let her out ( we were right next door and couldn't hear each other) , she then decided to eat the carpet and underlay, attempt to eat the massage bed and constantly jump up through the hole in it and lick my face ( in addition to biting my feet) sooooo embarrassing :-[

As soon as the lady left she went to sleep!!! So my relaxing massage was not actually relaxing at all!!!! I need to nip this in the bud as my little princess could turn into a little madam ;D

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry, but I did laugh at that.

It sounds like she might have been pretty anxious during the massage scenario. You don't mention that she has any problem when you leave the house to go to work, so it's probably not being left alone that's the problem but having you interact with other people in the house (even just on the phone). What is she like if you meet a person in the street and stop to talk?

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=10328.msg152339#msg152339 date=1427403036]
    Sorry, but I did laugh at that.

It sounds like she might have been pretty anxious during the massage scenario. You don't mention that she has any problem when you leave the house to go to work, so it's probably not being left alone that's the problem but having you interact with other people in the house (even just on the phone). What is she like if you meet a person in the street and stop to talk?
    [/quote]

It is quite funny really, but she doesn't need to know that..... little monkey ;D

She's fine when I leave the house and even when I'm in the shower ( nowadays) even when I put her in the kitchen when I'm working from home, she just sits by the baby gate ( after an initial moan) . She just seemed to want to be in on that action! She was fine with massage lady, loved gnawing her wooden bed!!!! it was me who was getting licks, play bites etc.

She's wary of people, if I stop to talk when out she does too but isn't keen on people going to close, she backs away all timid, but if she smells dog on them she licks them. People comment how well behaved she it ( cos she doesn't jump up, bark etc, she's especially gentle with children). I had my friend over the other evening and she entertained herself ( we were in a different room). ::)

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley (19 months) barks at my husband and daughter if they dry my hair they do it on a very regular basis, but Harley really doesn't like it. If I do my own hair, she sits next to me fine

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=10328.msg152481#msg152481 date=1427480672]
    Harley (19 months) barks at my husband and daughter if they dry my hair they do it on a very regular basis, but Harley really doesn't like it. If I do my own hair, she sits next to me fine
    [/quote]

Oh cute, she so wants a go :D