Barking/whining/eating things other than food, etc.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by amandamumma, May 29, 2014.

1. amandamumma

amandamumma Registered Users

Hi there,

I have been away from the forums for a while as things have been busy but ok with Lily but I just wanted to ask about a couple of things that are concerning me about my girl.

Lily is almost 6 months old now and is on CSJ puppy food. She seemed to be doing well on it, but she is constantly eating things from the garden (bits of stick, roots, plants, snails - if I can't get to her quick enough to get them out of her mouth), is counter surfing at every opportunity and whatever she sees, she will try to eat (as opposed to chew - though she does that too - cue frozen kongs, antler chew, nylabone. etc.). At 17 weeks she ate a tiny fleece teddy which obstructed her bowel and so she had an op; she is fine now but still tries to snaffle things into her mouth (but not poo.. which is a wonder). I am wondering if this is completely normal or if there may be some mileage in trying another food? Would that make any difference? Might she be eating all this other stuff because she craves something more tasty? I would be interested in your views; how can you tell if it is normal puppy behaviour or a food-related issue?

Also, Lily is turning into a barker/whiner, especially if she is in her crate and my husband is trying to work (he runs a small business from home). She is happy in her crate and has been in it since day 1 (though not all the time ;D). We are trying the marker "NO" followed by water spray, but only after she has been fed and toileted, so we think it is to do with either about attention seeking/boredom (she is house trained) - it sometimes works but sometimes doesn't. She loves nothing better than being with us on the couch in the evenings with her head on the arm of the chair, snoring. Maybe we have given her too much attention? It is really becoming a problem for my husband as he can't be on the phone to customers when Lily is barking her head off in the kitchen (the office is in the next room). He tried to bring her in to the office to keep her company and she chewed the skirting board whilst he was on the phone on a long call. He goes into the kitchen with his laptop to be with her in there and she is mostly well behaved but this can change when she wants some attention. (She also does the bark/howl/whine altogether, like someone is trying to murder her, this can be anytime at all, usually when we are all in and doing things in other rooms/upstairs.) Then, last Friday, Lily went into one of her mad 'charging round the house' moods and when she had finally run under his desk, my husband tried to get her to come out and she bit him. His words after this were "I can't do this any more". I need to work out how best to proceed and to reassure him about her behaviour; please can anyone assist with some sound advice? I don't know what to tell him other than "it will be fine, she'll settle down soon".

Do you think that a structure to the day would be helpful, a timetable of sorts? What I mean is, Lily knows when breakfast time is and will give a little woof in the morning to wake me up. I have tried to discourage this, i.e. her woofing and me responding to it, where possible. I try really hard to be consistent but am absolutely shattered after a few months of puppyhood! I am thinking that if she knows when she will be in her crate/out of her crate/out for walkies/lunch/snooze/etc. that it might help? I am coming at this as a mum, on the basis that routine is good for youngsters, but am not sure it is the same for dogs!

I am sorry for the long post and apologise if it doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.

Many thanks,

Amanda

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Barking/whining/eating things other than food, etc.

Hi Amanda, food wise and eating everything.......Harley (10 months nearly) does this all the time in the garden, grass, mud, weeds, roots of plants, slugs etc, she tries to eat them all, so in my experience it's quite normal.

As for your husband working from home I have no experience personally, but others on the forum work from home and most seem to have a schedule for work, play, food etc which helps with their pups. Hopefully one of them will be along soon to help you a bit more.

In the last month, Harley has calmed down a lot at home and with kongs, rice bones, toys etc, she can occupy herself for periods of 30-45 mins easily. Keep strong, you will get there x

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Amanda, Lily sure is keeping you busy there. As Naya says the obsession with eating everything is normal for some Labradors - definitely not unusual. But it might be an idea to add some variety to her diet in the form of things like chicken thighs or legs with the bone in, lamb ribs, rabbit...things she can chew and swallow safely! I don't know anything about CJS food so I don't how good it is.

The desire to sample things to eat might not go away but the desire to chew everything will. She should grow out of that. Probably a few more months to go though....

What's Lily's exercise/training regime at the moment? I wonder if she is getting enough mentally and physically tiring activity. You guys both seem tired and worn out, but not her.

It sounds like a bit of respite is needed...is there an option for a dog walker to visit during the day to take her out and give your husband a break?

Would it help to have the crate in his office?

4. amandamumma

Thank you Naya and Oberon - I am glad she is normal as regards eating things, but will give the bones a go - I was in two minds about them but you have given me the confidence to try them. When you say chicken thighs, etc. you mean raw? Sorry to appear dim but I just wanted to check... I like the idea of more variety.

As regards mental and physical activity, she has a 30 minute walk every day (about 1 hr before lunch) and we give her different toys, stuffed frozen kongs, antler, nylabone, big plastic squashed milk carton containing kibble (which she loves), etc. to play with, at intervals, in an attempt to give her some mental stimulation. She is now at dog training (delayed due to her operation) and is absolutely shattered afterwards, so she gets to expend some energy there, but that is only once per week; she comes from working stock so I am thinking she needs a lot of everything to keep her occupied and contented? I am torn between encouraging more walking but am wary of doing too much exercise and damaging her joints - what a minefield! The saying 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' leaps to mind, I confuse myself I think :-\

I did contact a local kennels to see if they did daycare for 2 of the 2.5 days I go to work (and therefore when my husband is struggling alone with her) and they have availability, lots of space to run about, they do agility activities, walks, etc. so this might seem to be a good investment at £15 per day. This would help with the exercise factor as well as the working from home problem but while we decide on that, I will suggest moving the crate into his office and see how that goes.

We are tired and worn out as you say, Oberon, but reading your post has really brought it home; something needs to change, even if just for the short term to settle into some sort of calm behaviour/routine, however long that takes ::) I kind of feel that we should be able to cope and just chill out about it all, but it is not that easy. Lily is our first family dog and it is a real rollercoaster ride - my poor husband doesn't know what's hit him, but he is trying really hard!

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Sorry you are having a rough time, Amanda! I would definitely try the doggy daycare - it sounds ideal. Just make sure you have a good idea how the dogs are managed while there, I know some on the forum who have tried daycare have pulled out because of their dog's personality not meshing well with the boisterous nature of the atmosphere at the daycare. I would try doing more training with her, to keep her mentally stimulated, as well. Sounds to me like she really wants to play and is trying to interact with you and get your attention any way she can!

6. Oberon

We found daycare to be a godsend when we first got our dog (he was 9 months old). He is 2 now and still goes to playgroup or is taken on a walk by a dog walker three days a week. Even if I have a week off work my dog still does his walks and playgroups - so I can get some 'me' time at home. So don't feel that you should be able to cope without help!

With the chicken suggestion I mean raw chicken thighs, still on the bone. Or legs, or legs and thighs together. Duck and rabbit are also good (both raw) - anything with soft bones that can be eaten in their entirety. Just gives them a 'legal' and natural outlet for their desire to chew and consume - and one that is great for their teeth as well :)

7. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Hi Amanda,

You are definately not alone. I have a 6 month old black female lab too. Thankfully she doesn't swallow everything but she does chew almost everything including myself and the children.

I am finding a ruitine the best thing I did. We try for up to three short walks a day. Even if it's only 10 mins it helps. Maybe your husband could try that. Is he able to take 5-10 min breaks to go for a walk or a couple games of tug or ball, maybe give them a couple of things to train for 5 mins. Just short intervals of activity and stimulation. I find that is helping Milly a great deal.

I have just booked her in for doggie play group which will start next Thursday so I am hoping that will help also. I will let you know how that goes. Is there any dog parks near you where you could take her on your days off for a good run and hoon around the place. Maybe organise a small group of dogs that you know for a play. If there are any.

Chewing raw chicken wings and legs etc is great for the chewing side. Milly also loves sardines so I freeze them in water in a margarine container. Stick that out on the grass and it keeps her amused for an hour or so.

Anyway just remember you are not alone and she is totally normal. My obedience trainer said to always keep in mind that she is a lab puppy and unfortunately they are puppies even up to or over 2 years. I found that put it in perspective for me.

It can be really tough at times but remember that there is usually someone on this forum that understands and can help. We are at the same stage and having similar issues. We can suffer and laugh about it all together. Because when you think about some of the stuff these labs get up to and into you just have to laugh.

Hang in there.
    Annette and Milly

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=amandamumma link=topic=6306.msg83258#msg83258 date=1401402293]

We are tired and worn out as you say, Oberon, but reading your post has really brought it home; something needs to change, even if just for the short term to settle into some sort of calm behaviour/routine, however long that takes ::) I kind of feel that we should be able to cope and just chill out about it all, but it is not that easy. Lily is our first family dog and it is a real rollercoaster ride - my poor husband doesn't know what's hit him, but he is trying really hard!
    [/quote]

Bless you,she's sounds a feisty one!We are learning with our first dog too so I know what a learning curve it is and when you are trying to learn to live with your dog responsibly and safely it can be exhausting.You've has lots of great advice ,the only thing that's occurred to me is could you bring her walk forward to a bit earlier? That way she's been exercised,fed and might settle better to give your husband a window to get some work done in peace?Shes only a baby still,these early months can be really tough,let us know what changes you try and how they go
    Best wishes
    Angela x

9. amandamumma

Wow - so many replies with practical advice. Thank you everyone who has responded.

The first thing I am going to do is get some nice fresh meaty bones (chicken leg and thigh, lamb ribs, rabbit) and get her going on those. As food is her number one preoccupation, I like the sound of the frozen sardines - great idea.

The second thing I am going to do is to plan a proper routine; bringing the walk forward to earlier in the day sounds like a good idea Dexter. Also, I think that AnnetteB's suggestion about short walks but more of them + short training exercises is a great idea. A slight frustration about where we live is it is a working rural area with quarry pits and farms and an airfield, so no actual dog park - I would love to be able to visit one so will see where the nearest big safe place is in the wider area and look at taking her there by car (ironic isn't it?). There are lots of dogs around here but again I am a bit worried about Lily being with smaller dogs as she is so boisterous - bigger dogs, fine; they tell her if she's out of line! I will speak to a friend with an older boy lab and get her walking with him on a regular basis; his recall is fine and I am working on Lily's so hopefully they can have a gambol about on the dirt track down the road.

I am going to investigate the daycare thing further, though it is useful what you say Lisa about being vigilant as regards boisterous behaviour of other dogs and the possible effect on mine. I would never have thought of that. It is also heartening to learn that others need 'me' time too and get someone in to walk the dog sometimes, so I won't feel guilty about considering that!

I think you are correct, Lisa, she is trying to get our attention and interact with us any way she can. More stimulation will hopefully tire her out and we can keep to a manageable routine ;D I will let you know how it goes...

Thank you for all your support, I feel more hopeful now.

10. amandamumma

Hi there,

Just checking in following the feeding of a large chicken leg and thigh piece (with bones) to Lily for the first time. I gave it to Lily half an hour after her midday walk today and she spent the first half hour licking it and nosing it, she would then bow down to play with it, as if she thought it was alive ;D. Then she laid down and started to chew. All in all she spent a full hour on it, then it was gone! Peace reigned. I thought that was success enough. I wasn't sure if the meaty bones would substitute her lunch so went half and half and gave her a little kibble and she went to sleep. For ages. She woke up when I came back from picking up my daughter but then went to sleep after dinner and is still asleep now.

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed a change when feeding bones? She is normally quite reactive and jumps up from sleeping whenever one of us leaves the room and will follow wherever we go, but she isn't this evening. I'd be interested to hear your views.

Many thanks in advance :)

11. Oberon

That's great ;D Love the mental image of her inviting the chicken leg to play.

All that hard work eating the chicken leg has been tiring. And now she's full of a meal that will take some digestive work. Her body is busy working on processing that chicken leg on the inside. So she's sleepy. Eating a meaty bone-in meal is much more mentally and physically occupying and sleep-inducing than scoffing a bowl of very processed and easy to digest kibble. What you're seeing is totally normal :)

The chicken leg was enough as a meal so next time don't worry about topping it up with kibble :)

12. amandamumma

Thanks Oberon for putting my mind at rest - bones are scary (especially when your mum keeps saying "be careful, they can be dangerous!")!

So, Lily is on 3 meals a day currently and next week when she hits 6 mths I was going to put her on 2 larger meals per day. If she is having the big bone for one meal, then presumably she'll need only one meal of kibble/wet food?

I am not good at going 'off piste' as it were with food quantities - kibble and wet food is easier to work out compared to raw/bones ??? I would love to understand all this. Apologies for being dim.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My Lilly had a large chunk of fish this afternoon.

I was giving her an outside bath. Thought I would use the hose, but "No Way Hose" :D
    I tempted her back by allowing her to hold said chunk of fish in her mouth whilst rinsing off and toweling.
    I usually ask her to shake after a bath - it was hilarious watching her try to work out how to do it with the fish in her mouth! She had to give in and put it down ;D

She didn't come through for her tea (she was asleep up on my bed) until an hour after normal time and she heard me making mine. I guess she was doing the work on the fish - as well as being pooped from the woods and beach. I also wasn't sure how much if any kibble to give her, so gave her half. She would have needed some to take her NSAID with, but I guess a smaller amount would have done.

I think she is going to sleep well tonight.

14. Oberon

Amandamumma, you are right - kibble and prepared foods are easier to work out initially as they're measurable. No being dim at all to wonder how much to give in the raw meat department. The best approach is probably to monitor Lily's weight over time via her appearance. If she's looking a bit wobbly round the middle, just give her one chicken wing or equivalent. If she's looking lean, give her a couple of drumsticks. Dogs don't need to eat exactly the same quantity each day. If you want to ad lib even more, feel free to use human quality leftovers (as long as they're low in onion) as some meals too. You will get a feel for it over time :)

A piece of chicken is a meal substitute, so I'd go with your plan of one meaty meal and one kibble/wet food meal. You don't have to do a raw meaty meal every day. Do vary the kind of meat - sometimes chicken, sometimes lamb neck or flaps/ribs/brisket, raw fish, duck, rabbit, quail, pheasant, turkey.

15. amandamumma

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I do worry but need to chill I think, on the quantities front.

Speaking of food, I bought a Northmate Green feeder at dog training last night to bolter my arsenal of things for Lily to do on the mental stimulation front (and so soothe OH's fevered brow dogwise). I had never seen such a thing before and was intrigued. Raw meat and kibble meals going ok so far, but she always eats the kibble too quickly, in about 60 seconds (as with many other labs, I suspect). So, in an attempt to get her to slow down and have something constructive to do at the same time, I soaked her kibble meal with warm water for a bit and then poured it in to the nooks and crannies of the Green feeder. Well. It took her 35 MINUTES to eat her meal.

I will give this to her a few times a week so she doesn't get bored with it. It took her so long to work out she had to use her tongue more ;D to get the food out, maybe she'll polish it off a bit quicker next time now she knows!

Just thought I'd share :)

Amanda

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=6306.msg83898#msg83898 date=1401576610]
    Thought I would use the hose, but "No Way Hose" :D
    [/quote]

::) ;D ;D ;D

17. Oberon

35 minutes for a Labrador to eat a meal? That is a world record for Longest Meal for sure ;D

18. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Just wanted to give you a bit of sympathy its a really hard time the puppy days, especialy younger than twelve months, it really really does get easier as they get older, Otis still counter surfs at thirteen months, but he is so much better with a lot of things xxx

19. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

That's awesome! 35 mins.

Another good one is to just throw the kibble out all over the yard. They then run around like crazy things trying to find them all. And being the hungry starved critters that they are they tend to spent quite a long time searching just in case they miss one. My kids love throwing the food and then watching Milly run around like a vacuum cleaner. ;D. Milly also likes it when I put it in a plastic bottle. Just take the ring and cap off and put the normal amount of food in it. If your pup tends to chew everything and eat it you may need to keep an eye on her and grab the bottle when it's empty. Thankfully Milly will chew the bottle but has never chewed it to pieces or eaten any. But it's something fun. I also have a treat ball that works great too. The treat all go down in it and just drop out when the hole is down. That takes Milly a while to. But lots of fun. These things are all things I would do outside as she does run around like a crazy thing. So not so good inside. ;)

20. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Hope things are getting better for you now, they seem to be. Puppyhood is very exhausting for us puppy parents!

Just a quick question regarding the raw and kibble mix. Are her stools still firm? (sorry) :eek:

Thinking of trying this for Albert, but his poo has always been firm and picks up clean, and I'd hate to change that!!!

Jan