Barking

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Kelly, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Kelly

Kelly Registered Users

Our 15 week old puppy loves,to bark at me but not my husband.Help why is he doing it. Seems to always want my attention even when he gets it alot to begin with.

2. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

He wants to play or interact. And he barks at you more than your husband, I would guess, because you probably react more to it. So he has learned he gets results from you and not your husband. So, ignoring the barking can work, but be prepared that that tactic will sometimes result in more barking for a short time until it starts to decrease. You can also help this along by making sure you are not rewarding the barks but waiting until he is quiet and disengaged (looks away, moves away, etc), and then engage with him.

3. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Yes, it's play barking. We had 5 month old Jim with us yesterday - he barked at everyone, dogs and humans, to play. The problem is that it can become a habit and they will then bark whenever they want something.

I would make sure he gets plenty of play, training and interaction but initiate it yourself and totally ignore his barks. That means no words, no 'replying' (you'll be amazed how much we talk to them when they make noises, typical human 'ape' chattering!) turn your back and silently do something else.

:)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Betsy was a barker when she came home - she isn't now. We'd walk out of the room and leave her if she barked, and this solved the problem very quickly. She will still give a bark if she gets frustrated, but it's not very often at all now.

Because I really dislike barking, I pretty much had a zero tolerance approach to it - every bark and humans left. It worked very quickly.