Barking!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rolo is great at letting me know when hubby comes home or the window cleaner has arrived. He barks and he barks and he barks. I don't know how to deal with it to be honest. He was never much of a barker when he was younger. Any suggestions?

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Barking!

Harley barks if she hears anyone walking towards our front door as we have little stones out there. She also used to bark at the hoover, hair dryer and if she could hear our neighbours in the garden. I am teaching 'quiet'. When hoovering, if she is quiet for a few secs she gets treat (I use barker and barker liver treats as can use around 150 of them a day). I repeat every few secs. We are extending the quiet time in between treats and can now go nearly 1 min :) I am training this every tie she barks continuously now :)

3. Rolokris

We haven't lived in this house for very long, just over 12 months. At the side of us, not directly thank goodness, is a dalamtion breeder. The dogs bark constantly which is obviously very annoying but worse than that is when the owner is home he shouts louder than the dogs "shut the f**k up you little s***s". The dog's barking can sometimes set Rolo off and if he's in the garden having a mooch around I will call him in he usually comes in and then stops. I am very concerned for the noise our neighbours are having to live with from the nasty man and from Rolo.

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=9814.msg142217#msg142217 date=1423301732]
    We haven't lived in this house for very long, just over 12 months. At the side of us, not directly thank goodness, is a dalamtion breeder. The dogs bark constantly which is obviously very annoying but worse than that is when the owner is home he shouts louder than the dogs "shut the f**k up you little s***s". The dog's barking can sometimes set Rolo off and if he's in the garden having a mooch around I will call him in he usually comes in and then stops. I am very concerned for the noise our neighbours are having to live with from the nasty man and from Rolo.
    [/quote]

Oh my what a horrible man!!!!! :'(

5. Rolokris

Oh yeah real charmer! Apparently the RSPCA have been called several times but he seems to get tipped before they visit and is on his best behaviour.

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=9814.msg142222#msg142222 date=1423302162]
    Oh yeah real charmer! Apparently the RSPCA have been called several times but he seems to get tipped before they visit and is on his best behaviour.
    [/quote]

I'd get recording his shouts if possible!!!!

Click for quiet hasn't made much difference here, but Bella seems to be growing out of constant barking, still happens at times tho....

7. Rolokris

Not only is not acceptable for the dogs it's not right that in the summer when we are in the garden the children have to listen to language like that.

8. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Meg barks when someone is approaching the door. This I am thankful for. She is a great alerter dog. We live in the middle of nowhere so this is behaviour I am happy for. She barked the other day when I was upstairs with the kids There was a delivery man in porch, scared me somewhat. Its funny though as its not like she would do anything other than fuss an intruder to death if they got in. Hopefully the non alerting 50kg malamute would step in if a "bad man" as my kids would say got in. I guess in more residential areas this is not so desirable so praise/click for quiet I guess, a bit like jumping up. I also agree with CDM get a recording of the nasty man shouting, Emma.

9. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Turid Rugaas Book " Barking the sound of language " is only 116 pages, but it's helped me ito manage Cassies barking. I haven't stopped her barking but it is nothing to what it once was.

Unless you move or your " lovely" neighbour moves, you will have to find ways for Rolo and your family to cope with him. ( the neighbour I mean)

The book is £6 odds for kindle version, I would buy it second hand via an online bookstore if you don't have a kindle account.

Sorry I can't be more help.

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mine both bark when they hear outside noises. I get up and 'investigate' and that satisfies them. Occasionally they carry on - then I distract them with a bit of training with treats.

:)

Two little Westies have moved in next door and, if both pairs of dogs are in their gardens, they often have shouting matches! I'm glad to say my two only do a few 'woofs' but the Westies yap yap yap yap yap yap yap! (They are called Lala and Dispy ::) )

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I never wanted to stop Dexter barking completely but there was a time when I needed to do some work with it as we had guests staying that have a special needs son that is very sensitive to loud,unexpected noises...
    We worked on a 'quiet' cue and fingers on lips hand signal.....I needed an assistant to ring the doorbell.we were pretty successful with it but I found it more effective to actually give Dexter a 'job' to do to distract him from the action going on at the door.So, I stared saying ,'in your room' ( funny the door has just gone while I'm typing this) and then click and treating for the periods of quiet between barking.......Dex automatically runs into his room now if the doorbell goes,even if I'm upstairs and he's been asleep on the couch!
    He still barks an alert if he hears something which I'm happy about but 'quiet' stops it continuing ...
    Your neighbour sounds pretty unpleasant :(

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I trained a 'quiet' like Angela and now Charlie barks once maybe twice and goes straight to his bed, Hattie is quiet but just hangs around for the treat ::) x

Nice "breeder" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. PaigeEmily

PaigeEmily Registered Users

My girl is 7 months and the only times I've heard her bark is when she's shoved her face repeatedly on the oven door or radiator and burnt her nose. She's never barked at anything else and I've not heard her bark at all in like 2 months. I guess it's a blessing but I'd really like her to let me know when she hears something at least!

My old dog used to bark a lot. She was a Rough Collie (and they have quite a yappy bark for a large dog!) so I've not had experience training a Labrador out of it but I don't think there should be much difference really. As long as you're consistent in what you want and your dog feels safe and trusts you then you should be able to do it.

The way I taught my dog to stop barking was to teach them to bark because if you can teach them to bark on command then you can also teach them to stop barking on command. It'll take time and the urge to bark may sometimes be way more fun than your training but once you've taught the dog to bark you can start treating (and clicking if you use clicker training) when the dog stops barking. After a while of this you can add a cue word to your treat (or click) like 'shh' or 'quiet' or maybe just a hand gesture. Though if your dog isn't looking at you then that won't really help. Don't scold them for barking. They need to know that it's ok to bark when they want you to know something but also that if you tell them to be quiet then they should be quiet.

It takes a lot of persistence but it worked for me and I really hope it works for you too! :)

14. Rolokris

Some great advice thank you so much. Something else to add to the training list! Lol x

15. Rolokris

OMG! It has been non stop today. When does the second fear stage set in? The neighbours have had work men in at the front of the house but he has been constantly barking at the back door. I haven't been able to distract him or stop him.

16. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

[quote author=Edp link=topic=9814.msg142237#msg142237 date=1423305543]
    Its funny though as its not like she would do anything other than fuss an intruder to death if they got in.
    [/quote]

Ha! Same here! FedEx man was delivering a rather heavy package and Edsel was barking like he'd tear him to pieces. I assured the delivery man there was no danger only to have Edsel cover him with kisses and hugs when he stepped thru the door! But he does sound quite vicious.

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We had builders in recently. Harley kept barking and became stressed so I ended up putting her in day care for the week to ease the stress on her and me!