Barley has his first acupuncture session tommorow

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Puppypal, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Since hydrotherapy is not an option for barley, we have gone down the route of giving him acupuncture instead to see if this helps him a bit, it will be interesting to see how he gets on with it.

Has anyone else's dog had acupuncture?

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Barley has his first acupuncture session tommorow

I suggested acupuncture to my dad after seeing a programme on acupuncture on animals. It seemed to have good results on the animals and my dad found it helped his arthritis too :)

Hope all goes well and Barley feels the benefit !

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good luck with it - I am a bit of a fan of acupuncture - works really well for some, not so good for others.
    Fingers crossed its good for Barley ;)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've heard of good results in dogs.

I've had it myself and can't say I enjoyed it. Bit more than just the advertised 'tiny tickle' sensation..... But I've had friends who've found it beneficial.

5. Susan Jay

Susan Jay Registered Users

Hi there. My dog, who is 7yrs old, and an agility dog, had a really sore leg and when investigated she has a sharp bit of bone at her elbow joint. This was an arthritic spur. After trying some homeopathic medicines, which didn't work, I went down the acupuncture route. First session, when she was a bit nervous, lasted nearly an hour and the vet who treated her was tremendous, putting one of the needles in near the back of her ear to calm her. After numerous needles later, she stood really quietly and well. The effects lasted for a day. A week later, we went back for our second session, with the effects (no stiffness, limp etc) lasting for 4 days. Another session the following week, no stiffness whatsoever. We have had a further 4 sessions, making them longer in between, with the last one being a month apart. We have now been signed off as she has no aches or pains at all. She has been totally transformed as the result of the experience and is back to her usual hyper self and I have even started her back, gently, at her agility, which she just loves, with no ill affects whatsoever. No looking back! And the other bonus, as it has been such a good experience for her, she actually doesn't even stress so much about going to the vet anymore! Hope it works out as well for Barley.

6. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Barley was very good, he was not to keen on settling down but he was fighting it. There was a couple of points that he did not like as it was quite tender, but that is understandable. Person said that he hides his pain very well, even though he is in pain he does not show it. Next session will be around lat December time, depending on how he goes from here if he improves it could be longer but if he does not or gets worse it could be earlier, so we will have to see.