Barney is having X-rays next week :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Looby Lou, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Jack and Barney are now 7 months old and getting bigger every day (28kg now!) Barney has had a recurring limp and we have also had concerns about his hips when walking sometimes, he sort of looks like a panther. The vet checked him and didn't think there was a problem with his hips, but as his limp had recurred he advised we think about X-rays after the last round of painkillers. We noticed he is starting to look stiff sometimes when he gets up, and a couple of nights ago Jack laid on his hip while he was asleep and it woke him up and he growled at him, that's the first time either of them has ever done that, so it must have hurt him :(

We have been to the vets and booked him in for X-rays of his hips and hind legs, which will be next Tues 30th, which gives me 5 days at home with him afterwards before I'm back at work.

I know we need to get him checked out early, but I'm so worried about him, for the X-ray and for what it might find.

Needless to say he is getting spoilt rotten...

Also, don't know what Jack will do without him for a day.

This time next week he will be back home again :)

Lou x

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Barney is having X-rays next week :(

Having been through hip xrays I know it is very stressful and it's tempting to think the worst. But try not to get ahead of things. You are doing the right thing by investigating it so you know the facts.

When you're describing Barney's walk as panther like I think I know what you mean. A slightly unusual walk like that isn't in itself a sign of a problem. My dog Obi walks in an undulating, panther like kind of way and also 'paces' rather than trots and his hips are great (as the xrays showed us).

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Its understandable to be worried but you're doing much the best thing for you all. You will know what your dealing with (or not!) and will be able to make good decisions and Barney will get all the help he may need as a result.

Will be thinking of you :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, much sympathy. I had x-rays done to investigate a limp, and it was SO worrying. It did turn out to be serious - but not something that would have shown up on x-rays!

On the up side, it is now a huge relief knowing that Charlie has perfect hips and elbows. He also walks with a swaying "lion" gait when viewed from the back at a walk. Or Marilyn Monroe on a dodgy day. Can't quite make up my mind. Anyway, it's a perfectly normal gait for a young Labrador according to my physio, ortho vet, surgeon, breeder....

If you are going to the expense of x-rays...I had all of Charlie's joints done - hips, knees, elbows, shoulders...it's been very useful. Whenever there is a suspicion of anything now the vet can just pull up the x-rays and say "ok, elbows perfect" so it's soft tissue, or whatever. And so on.

5. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Good luck with the x-rays.

I've been there too, not with a Lab but a long departed Weimaraner, his x-rays showed up severe bilateral hip dysplasia at 18mths old. :(

Will be thinking of you and hoping for good results.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good luck with the x-rays.
    I have to say, it sounds like how Lilly reacts if you get too close to her.
    I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for you xx

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fingers crossed for the X-rays. Will be thinking of you all x

8. Looby Lou

Thanks everyone, it makes me feel better knowing that the walk is not necessarily something bad. I'll let you all know what the vet says after the X-rays.

Merry Christmas to all the forum members and their lovely four legged friends

Lou x

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Lou, my Cooper (now almost 10 months) also had x-rays for a limp that was on and off. Vet examined him and found nothing but the limp seemed to come after he had play time with a bigger dog so decision was made to x-ray.
    Nothing showed and the vet even sent x-rays to an orthopaedic vet and....nothing. When they are so young, playing rough or falling off a sofa, or just running can strain a muscle or tendon. Of course, after spending $600 dollars on x-rays, Cooper has NEVER limped again!!! Money well spent, though, because now I know there is nothing wrong.
    Also, the walk......labs sort of sashay (spelling?).....move their bums in a swaying way.....loved the description of Marilyn Monroe on an off day!! That was cute. A friend of mine says "don't open the umbrella until it rains" so please don't worry about it until you know there is actually something to worry about and good luck. MERRY CHRISTMAS.....

10. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer walks normaly (well pulls normaly) but when he runs his legs are alll over the place. I think it is just part of puppyhood.

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck with the X-ray, hopefully the results come back clear.

12. Looby Lou

We dropped him off first thing and are now waiting anxiously for the phone call from the vets :-[. Jack has coped remarkably well on his own. We are going to take him out for a long walk soon so he is tired and doesn't get too excited when Barney comes home drowsy. I'll post details about the results later.

Lou x

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Best of luck :) good plan to keep busy !

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Loads of luck for a good result :)

15. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Keep us posted!

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fingers crossed x

17. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Hope everything goes well today, when Buster had his x-rays a few months ago on his elbows he was whining quite a but that night and kept close to one of us i think just for comfort, as soon as he got home he did have diorrohea and kept dashing out to the garden it probally lasted about an hour then he was ok.

18. Looby Lou

Well he's home and the X-rays showed that everything is as it should be! The vet thinks it's probably growing pains due to the rate of growth in bigger dogs. He said his weight is fine, and advised us to keep him on the puppy food until he's 12 months old. He advised we continue to restrict his exercise but make sure he gets enough to not get fat. We have painkillers to give him for any 'off days' he may have.

Jack was so excited to see him when he came home, it was absolutely the sweetest thing ever to see ;D

He's v drowsy and has a slight cough, but he has managed some scrambled eggs and a cup of tea lol.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes - they obviously worked!!

A very relieved Lou xx

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Very glad to hear this, phew!! :)

20. Granca

Granca Registered Users

What a relief! Glad to hear all is well.