Bathing

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by lois, Dec 20, 2013.

1. lois

lois Registered Users

I have never bathed Poppy I usually take her to a dog groomer but unfortunately she was poorly in the night and obviously laid in her sick..sorry and my goodness does she pong all dog groomers are booked until after Christmas...so we thought we would do it ourselves any tips please

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Bathing

Sounds like a bath is in order!! :)

We have a bathtub with a hand held shower so we put Obi into the bathtub and give him a good soaking with the shower fitting. Then we lather him up with dog shampoo, but you can use human shampoo if you don't have dog shampoo at home. Then he gets another good rinse and a dry with a couple of towels. He gets some treats while all this is happening. If he needs to have the top of his head washed we put our hand over his eyes to keep shampoo and water out of them.

If you don't have a hand held shower you can fill the bath a bit (say, 15cm) and pour water over her using a plastic container.

If you don't want to wash her inside the house you can do it outside with a hose but only if the weather's warm.

3. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

... and make sure bedroom doors are shut before you let her back out of the bathroom!!!
    Clare

4. Oberon

Yes, that too ;D And wear old clothes because they'll probably end up about as wet as the dog :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If you are using shampoo (rather than doggy soap) its good to have a jug half full of warm water and put a good squirt of shampoo in it, swirl it around, then massage into wet dog :)
    Much easier than applying shampoo directly.
    Also, if you wet the dog's head area, it is more likely to shake, so be prepared, either don't do it, or leave it to last ;D
    And put a bath mat in first if you have one.
    Last thing, if you have a dog fleece or drying coat of any description, really helps them to dry off (a long shot, I know).

Good luck ;)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Above you find the answers from experienced people, with quite sensible dogs.

If, like me, your house would not survive the process of a dog in bathtub (the horror - the hooligan muddy and wet puppy would cost a fortune in redecoration even getting up the stairs, let alone down them when wet... ::) )...

Garden. Lots of chicken treats at the ready. One clean large gardening trug of very warm water and a large sponge. Wet dog and get the worst off. Lather up (not too much), first rinse off with sponges of water. 2nd trug of warm water for second good rinse with sponge. 3rd trug of water needed only if you used too much shampoo. Good rub off with dry towels and into the warm kitchen.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Lois,this post! Glad you've got some tips ,but thanks for the chuckles it's given thinking of everyone bathing their dogs....that blummin shake ....you get soaked !
    We have only done it once when Dex arrived,he was pretty rank after 10 hours in his box :(. Of course we had bought special dog sponge,special dog soak...a towel with his name on ,a non slip mat.....we were nothing if not prepared!and we have used all the equipment a whopping........once!like you its the groomers for us when his back end or claws need a trim ...or the hose in the garden!tell us how it goes and sorry Poppy was sick ...what do you think it was ? X

8. lois

lois Registered Users

Thanks all sounds like a lot of fun NOT!!! sunday is bath day hubbys around so hopefully she will behave..Ha Ha..she was sick because apparently she had eaten a bit of a plastic toy as that's what she sicked up I guess she was lucky that it came back up little madam, anyway thanks for the tips will let you know how it goes...

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I always take Harley in the shower, she goes nuts if I even try to put her in the bath and will bark and bark and bark some more. Generally I shower myself then put on a swimming cozzie, then Harley comes in, I wash her with the shower hose and doggy shampoo. She will happily let me wash her here ;D I always put 2 towels on the bathroom floor coz as soon as she is out of the shower she will shake everywhere, then run round like a loony for a few minutes. I close the bathroom door as it is 100% tiled and it's easy to clean :) we then use another towel to dry her as much as we can (only a few mins!).

10. Dexter

[quote author=Naya link=topic=3737.msg42366#msg42366 date=1387638600]
    Generally I shower myself then put on a swimming cozzie, then Harley comes in
    [/quote]
    Honestly I've been amused by this thread all day....
    Ternaya please start a video thread of you showering Harley,I'm even chuckling writing that!x

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ha ha!
    Yes a shower is quite good as it helps to keep the wet in one place (a bit ;D )
    in fact I have a picture of sophie in the shower with Lilly. Might post it when on my comp ;D

12. Dexter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3737.msg42428#msg42428 date=1387648076]

in fact I have a picture of sophie in the shower with Lilly. Might post it when on my comp ;D
    [/quote]

Sophie is now dying saying 'God,you're so embarrassing Mum!' ;D

13. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I read somewhere that human shampoo is really bad for dogs? Dont know if its true but thought i would mention it :)

14. Oberon

Don't think it'd be a problem in a pinch :) Obi prefers L'Occitane. But mostly he gets Alloveen Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner.

Obi is having a hydrobath at daycare tomorrow, in prep for our trip to Melbourne on Christmas Eve. Gotta smell nice for the in-laws.

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Angela, will try and get my hubby to video us the next time I shower Harley.......it will make everyone giggle a lot ;D ;D

16. lois

lois Registered Users

Ha ha laughed a lot....reading this....Poppy all bathed and cleaned bless her she was so shocked I think she just sat in the bath...looking sad....didn't want her treats either, fun bit was getting her out but then she just stood still whilst I towel dried her...she wouldn't speak to us for a couple of hours after....

17. Oberon

Aw, little sweetie :) Sounds like she was a good girl, even if it was all meant to be a big silent protest :)

18. David

David Registered Users

Labs are grand masters at looking sad if they have to. Priceless about the treats. Hope she's recovered from her sulk now. ;D

19. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Ahh, a clean Poppy... Glad it went well, although next time she'll know what's coming... ;)
    Clare

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When we first got Charlie, my OH said "he's sulking". I said "rubbish, dogs do not sulk, they would need to have the ability for complex reasoning to sulk - ie to try and make you feel bad by their actions".

Charlie sulks. He really, really, sulks. He also has tantrums, like a little toddler.

One of the best Charlie sulks was at the vet's the other day. Vet approached to put in his ear drops, and offered Charlie a treat as he reached him. Charlie spat the treat out at the vet, just missing his eye. Once the eardrops were done, he peed on the vet's table leg and then looked incredibly pleased with himself. I kept telling myself that I was imagining this, projecting emotions on to Charlie that he wasn't capable of having...