Beach etiquette

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cherry, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

We spent the weekend in a caravan by the seaside and my OH and I have differing opinions of Molly's behaviour, I'd be interested in your views.
    Molly is 13 months now so not exactly a baby but still very much a puppy in my eyes.
    We've not been to the beach since August so Molly was very excited to arrive in the caravan and ever so eager to get to the beach (paws up at sea wall peering over!). It's a well used beach, quite a few dogs and families with young children around. Anyway she was off lead. She swam and swam, she pottered around exploring, she dug (Mainly not over us and definitely not over anyone else). She did go up to people but never got too close and didn't steal any food, knock anyone over or make any small children cry (which was my big issue last summer!) I think her recall was pretty good considering the distractions.
    However OH says that she was a pain, she wouldn't settle and wouldn't come when he called (he's never done any recall training with her).I wouldn't expect her to settle when there's so much to do and she did when tied to the picnic bench while we ate. She trotted along the promenade and sat and waited at the gate to the caravan park when we left.
    She also settled perfectly in her crate dispite being de crated months ago at home.
    What do you think? (I think she's amazing but possibly a bit biased....)

Harley Quinn, Atemas, MF and 2 others like this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Molly sounds very well behaved to me for a dog of her age and with that level of excitement/distractions. There are many adult dogs that wouldn't do that well. I for one would be very happy with her behaviour :) If your OH doesn't do any training with her he won't really know what good behaviour is.

I'm with you Cherry, she's amazing. Good girl Molly :) xx

selina27 likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Sounds good to me, I'll be pleased if my Cassie, just 12 months, is as good as that when we go to the beach.

But of corse I don't have OH:( to have opinion/input

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

She behaved very well by the sounds of it. Well done you & Molly. Pay no attention to your OH.

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sounds very good to me. The not-stealing food or toys are big achievements !

MF likes this.
  6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Gold star Molly and Mum....if OH has done no training then he got his results didn't he! Well done and I hope Bailey is as well behaved when we get away later in the year!

7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

As you've described the beach as dog and family friendly, not too busy (crowded) with other dogs off lead then her behaviour sounds fine and just a dog enjoying their themselves as much as anyone.

Only thing I would add is to play games with her, to keep her focuss back on to you or start one end and walk along as she plays so she's always moving along catching up to you and people don't have the chance to get annoyed by her running around.

8. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Thanks everyone :) She's super tired now and will possibly sleep for a week! Well a day maybe, at least a few hours anyway.....

selina27 and drjs@5 like this.
  9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think she did really well from what you described. The beach can be very distracting, let alone having families, food and children around at the same time! I would be really happy if she was my dog.

Cherry likes this.
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

I am very impressed!! Didn't steal food?? Is she an angel?? I have to take extra money with me to compensate the beach picnickers.

Harley Quinn, Rosie, UncleBob and 5 others like this.
  11. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ripple said are you sure she's a Labrador? :D He's 2 next month and would never be so well behaved.
    It sounds as if your training has really paid off.

Cherry likes this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'd be delighted if I had a 13 month old behaving like that in such a new and exciting environment for her. Her body may be full grown, but that age is definitely still "baby brain" and she sounds like she was really well-behaved plus had a great time... win! :)

13. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Cherry it's good to hear that your weekend away was good and your training is going really well with Molly. As a trainer though I have to agree a little with your husband. Is it a good idea that Molly will only recall to you? What if your husband walks her by himself for any reason if you are incapacitated. My OH has never trained with my dogs but they recall to him - not quite as fast as to me ;) but they recall so you might want to work some training around that situation, and it's always better to both being happy with how our pups behave when we are out and about. The other niggle is around the settle. If you have a trained settle, it means your dog settles anywhere, at any time when you ask - not just in familiar places; it's often when you're out and about that you need that settle even more so you can sit and relax with a drink in the local pub or eat some lunch with out a dog keep bouncing up and down. Again it's just a little focus on training the settle

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Beach etiquette?

Here you go -

:p

15. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I have DREAMS about Pongo behaving that well. Unfortunately I always wake up.
    Well done Molly and well done you!

selina27 likes this.
  16. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

ROFL!

17. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

She sounds lovely to me. We went to the beach last weekend and Stanley wasn't as good as that. He ran off with someone's shoe :rolleyes:

Luckily although he's now 1, he's small and has a very puppyish face. So I just lie and say hes about 6 months :chuckle:

Kelsey&Axel, Joy, selina27 and 3 others like this.
  18. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Heh, heh...this reminds me of the beach in Santa Cruz (California) where I used to take my dogs. Dogs were only allowed before 10am and after 5pm so you'd get that moment at about 5:15 where there were still the crazy tourist sunbathers on their towels (crazy because no local would freeze to death in a bikini in a NorCal summer) and then the absolute avalanche of local dogs would come streaming down the steps and weeing on every towel and beach bag in sight. No, no, I shouldn't have found that amusing, but...well...it was pretty funny. :D

Having said that, that video just makes me want a crazy wet and sandy Lab even more!

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This behaviour sounds exemplary to me , given her age too, plus all the chaos that can ensue on a busy beach ! Not stealing food ? Kudos re that ! Sam is pretty well behaved on beaches , but oh he loves a picnic , even when its not ours ! Well done x

20. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

Hmmm? Youre very kind, I would of crated my OH!

Jes72, UncleBob and Rosie like this.