Bear goes on his first weekend getaway

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by camo, Jul 12, 2016.

1. camo

camo Registered Users

We were invited to catch up with family, but it was a 4 hour trip each way and we would need to book into a motel, and we just didn't feel comfortable leaving Bear behind (we had someone who could check in on him and feed him, but he would have been basically alone for 2days).

Even though we have had dogs all our life, we have never stayed in a motel with them. I found a pet friendly motel (I was surprised how many exist now), but with Bear teething, I was a bit worried we might be up for a repair bill. The only logical answer I could think of was to have Bear sleep in a crate overnight, but we have not crate trained him, and by this stage I was 12 hours from deciding if we would be going or not.

So we were faced with two major hurdles, a long trip (Bear came from 4 1/2 hours away, and traveled well then, but was that a fluke, or being a younger pup), and needing him to settle in a crate overnight, when he is used to sleeping in a big pen.

I'm pleased to say Bear was the perfect puppy:)! Here Bear is, wishing the seat belt for the harness was a bit longer, as he tries to get enough reach to sleep on my shoulder:D

[​IMG]

He settled perfectly in the car, and within 30 minutes and a lot of liver treats, Bear was confident the crate was the magic cage of treats:D. The crate we bought was the biggest the store had, but folded down for transporting.

We had a perfect little getaway, and the best thing is we got to share it with our boy. I'm sure this won't be the last getaway

snowbunny, drjs@5, Naya and 3 others like this.
  2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh what a cute face! So pleased everything went well for your getaway. We went to visit my Dad and Step-Mum a couple of months ago now and I was fretting about Bailey's behaviour while in somebody else's house - all needlessly as he was perfectly behaved (apart from trying to eat my Step-Mum's entire flower border and running off around the garden with an item of her underwear pinched from the washing line! Good job she has a great sense of humour!). Can't wait for our next getaway.

drjs@5 and camo like this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

bear is such a cutie they do seem to rise to the occasion all of mine have always holidayed with us they do love it

camo likes this.
  4. camo

camo Registered Users

Haha, that had me cracking up:D "perfectly behaved"....well except the underwear incident...hehehe.

Samantha Jones likes this.
  5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah it's the best thing ever taking them away with you ,I'm really glad you decided to take him x

camo likes this.
  6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Don't know what was funnier - Bailey racing round the garden trailing said underwear or my OH frantically trying to get it back off him (without a treat in his hand - no chance buster!!). Both my Dad and Step-Mum were roaring with laughter!!

Oh well almost perfect then ;)

camo, drjs@5 and Naya like this.