Becoming more independent or not liking our company?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Katrina Johnston, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Katrina Johnston

Katrina Johnston Registered Users

Hello friends.

Am I being paranoid?

Rufus (8 months) has started taking himself to the kitchen/bedroom to snooze of an evening instead of relaxing in his bed/on the sofa in the living room with my partner and I. We were used to him being around us all the time, so this has got me worried...

During the day he'll snooze on the sofa. He sleeps in a bed in the kitchen during meal times, and in our bedroom at night...more often than not sneaking on to the bottom of our bed.

Is this normal? I'm missing snuggling into my pal during tv time!

Thanks in advance,

Trina :)

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I don't know if it's normal, but I do feel your pain. My boy used to take himself off to bed with a big sigh if he thought I was being too much of a night owl.

Some people who want to keep their dogs OFF the sofa may not agree, but I taught my cuddle-adverse dog a cuddle command. For him it was to lay down next to me and put his head on my shoulder, but you could teach a settle on the sofa next to you, for example. Just an idea. :)

3. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

I view it as a good thing actually that you pup feels comfortable enough with things to go lay down on his own. My most recent pup that we lost this fall would go in the other room at times because he slept better there, and got better rest. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you, it just means he is mature enough to know the best places for his needs. If he didn't want to spend any time with you that would be different, but to sleep in the other room wouldn't concern me at all.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My girl takes herself off to bed in the evening.
    Though she is not generally allowed on the sofa - not forbidden if there is a blanket on though.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Could it be a temperature thing? My youngest will take herself wherever it’s coolest if she’s feeling a bit warm.

Johnny Walker likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley takes herself to bed (my bed) if we are up too late or if she’s tired. I believe it’s because she feels comfortable enough to go where she wants.

7. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I was gonna also mention a temperature thing. Duggan has any number of places to snooze in the evening depending on temperature. He used to snuggle up to the cool toilet bowl base in the summer but as soon as he hears any movement he’s like an apparition and poof... he’s standing in front of us like.. where we going ?? Lol

Plum's mum likes this.
  8. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

Jax does lye with us in living room most of the time, but often takes himself off to my daughters room to get some peace and quiet and some sleep. Only nearly 5 months, but been doing it for a while.